Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone , my teenage boys got a dodge caliber and decided to install a new aftermarket radio in it ... they cut off the old stereo harness and hooked up the radio with success but now the car wont start . they assured me they had not shorted out anything and checked a bunch of fuses .they have wired the harness back to original and plugged in the old radio but the car will turn over but does not seem to fire . is there something in the stereo wiring harness that will affect the vehicle security system ? my obdii scanner does not show any errors but the engine light is on .any help would be appreciated thank you

·
Registered
26 Posts
My VW Passat has the stereo connected to the security system.

Remove the original stereo without a special adapter, and the car won't start.

Trying to put the factory stereo in another car, the display would ask you for its four-digit security code before it would turn on.

I think a Caliber may need an adapter for the new stereo.

There are special jumpers that you can buy in which everything just plugs into nice and easy - cutting and splicing a dozen wires almost never works in today's vehicles.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If they were cutting into wires without disconnecting the battery first they could have fried something, so check the car's fuses to see if any are blown.

According to the 2007 shop manual the head unit is connected to the CANBUS network as well so you might check (if you can) to see if there are any communication issues with the head unit or any of the other controllers on the network.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts