Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There’s no way to tie things down on the roof. Those rails aren’t good for much with no place for hooks or tie-downs.

There are little hook loops inside the trunk area, that I though about mounting some on the roof, but I don’t think they would be strong enough for much.

Enter; the 2012 Subaru Outback:

Found at the local junkyard, I would have rethought about getting its roof rack if I knew how many things I’d have to disassemble just to get them off (oh-**** handles, headliner, wiring, curtain side airbags).

The part that looks like a handle can actually swing across and latch onto the other side to make a cross-member (one per side) to carry items off of the roof's paint.

There will need to be some hole cutting, and some type of internal support made inside the Caliber.

As of this posting, I’m not sure if it will fit as-is, or if modifications will be needed for width... I just saw them on a live Subaru and knew I had to have them on my car.

Who else Frankenstein’s their car with other brand parts?

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oohh... That’s a nice clean look!

I would’ve gotten something like that for my last car. But for this Caliber, I’m looking for a beefier style (a little late in the day here for good pics, sorry):

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In order to mount the new racks, I needed to remove the headliner to see how to mount things.

I was worried I wouldn’t be able to get the headliner back up. But after complete removal, I like the view - so I’ll keep it removed

I also have a clear view as to where I can drill/cut holes, where the airbags are (they’ll stay for now), roof supports, and anything else concerning the space above..

I can mount lights better, add sound-deadening pads, and other fun stuff. I won’t have to worry about constantly cleaning the headliner due to my greasy fingerprints (ya filthy animal).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well...

It won’t fit like I want it to.

If I attach the crossbars for the correct spacing, the screw holes are right on top of the reinforced welding - and I can’t seem to drill through it.

Also, even though it looks like it curves nice with the roof line, towards the windshield it does not.

And that first screw is in a spot where I can’t get past all the welded metal.

I thought that maybe I could just heat the plastic and bend/reform it to match the roofline... but the thing is not plastic - it seems to be fibreglass.

This is now a lot more work to make it fit than I can even think about today. Damnit.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Another idea... then another weld. sigh

Still slowly moving forward. 😁💪

1 - 6 of 6 Posts