Dodge Caliber Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to the forumZ. Are you the original owner of the car? If not, you need to check and make sure there's thermostats in it. It has two. Are you running anti-freeze/distilled water mix 50/50? Check that. Make sure someone didn't bypass the heater core. If it all checks out okay, try a reverse flush of the heater core. It could be clogged. How many miles on that Caliber? I have an older brother that lived in Sparta for years. I used to visit and go up to Fall Creek Falls. Beautiful part of the state.
I was going to bring up the duel thermostat set up on these cars too. There right there together and wont hurt replacing both while having to already dig one out in the first place. If Im not mistaken I actually think the cab heater circuit is the lower thermostat, top one is for the engine. If Im not mistaken.. This will be my second replacement in 3 years, probably going to reverse flow with a complete fluid change. They can be pretty testing. I've been poking around trying to avoid the inevitable hoping something else I've overlooked has failed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem. The issue was a plugged heater core. Call any red repair shop and they'll tell you the cores are notorious. The FIX! There a couple videos on YouTube that have workaround fix. By the book or dealership, they will tell you the dash ahs to come apart to get at the car. The work around is to drain cooling system. Then remove plastic dash covers around the foot throttle. You will then be able to see the aluminum tubes that carry coolant from engine to the heater core. With a sawsall you can cut these two lines. MAKE SURE TO LEAVE LOTS OF TUBING INSIDE CAR! The heater core slides out of bracket it rides in. Now, carefully measure tubing on new heater core. The aim is to cut new tubes as close to fitting onto stubs of old tubes. Now slide a short piece of rubber heater hose and 2 clamps over stubs sticking thru firewall. Now slide new core into dash. Slide rubber hoses to connect tubes and clamp them up. Make sure to bleed out air in system.
The shop labour charge to tear apart dash and HOPEFULLY make everything work again is well over $1k. This method takes 45 minutes, start to finish.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts