Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fan is blowing appropriately from the vents. The temp is getting near 210 degrees but it is the normal running in area right now since its cold. No leaks of anti-freeze, no sweet smells in cab.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Welcome to the forumZ. Are you the original owner of the car? If not, you need to check and make sure there's thermostats in it. It has two. Are you running anti-freeze/distilled water mix 50/50? Check that. Make sure someone didn't bypass the heater core. If it all checks out okay, try a reverse flush of the heater core. It could be clogged. How many miles on that Caliber? I have an older brother that lived in Sparta for years. I used to visit and go up to Fall Creek Falls. Beautiful part of the state.

Reactions: KennM03

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Feel both of the radiator hoses. If one is hot and one is not, then you definitely have a thermostat problem. Don't just half-ass it and replace one either. Replace them both at the same time if you have to. And I'd suggest using OEM Mopar thermostats, not the cheap crap from Autovancereily.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Try all of the various vent settings to see if it blows hot on any one of them. If it does on some and not others, it's a problem with the blend doors in the dash. If none of them blow "properly" hot, your heater core could be plugged. In that case, try a reverse flush to see if you can get the crud out.

Has the coolant ever been changed on the car?

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I agree with Tom. Good luck with that. But I'd still try a direct flush of the heater core by removing the heater hoses. No point in doing the radiator since both hoses are toasty. And you need to do it ASAP. I see the temps in TN for the next few nights aren't going to be that warm!

·
Registered
11 Posts
As others have stated, the heater core flush will usually do the trick. I had to do this just this past November on my '07 Nitro and it's worked great since. Just be sure you flush the HELL out of it. I did it 10-12 times the first attempt and then did it 20 times the second and that finally broke things loose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So both heater hoses get hot until I turn on the heater then one goes cold, what does that sound like the problem is? If there is no Heater valve how does the temperature change? Does the dampener door control temperature?

·
Registered
742 Posts
It sounds like it's working exactly like it's supposed to. If the fan is off the hot coolant simply passes through the heater coil and loses little to no heat, so both the inlet and outlet hoses to the heater coil should be hot. When the fan is on it blows air across the heater coil and removes the heat from the coolant flowing through it. Therefore, the inlet hose should be hot but the outlet hose should be appreciably cooler.

Unless your car has automatic temperature control then the temperature only changes when you change the fan speed.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I don't think it's a plugged core (though this was a problem on some Calibers)...the coolant circulates through it continuously, even when the heat controls are off. If it was plugged one hose would always be cold, but the OP said both hoses get hot when the the heater is off. That suggests the hot coolant is flowing through the core as it should.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts