Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help just bought base line 07 caliber it starts in the early morning and night when it's cool but when it gets over 80° it won't start I've checked relays in the wheel well, tried resetting tpim, and checked all fuse's any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
You may want to try testing your ignition switch. Sounds like some sort of thermal expansion going on there. You've got connection while it's cool, but one it gets so warm, it starts to expand and breaks the connection. Remove the steering wheel cover and check the voltage to the switch when it's cool and then when it warms up. I'm not a mechanic, but I've been tinkering with cars for 45 years. I don't like the new ones with all of this computer crap running every function.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply I didn't know there was solder or thermal paste in the ignition switch but could be anything I'm not a fan of this computer sith either

·
Registered
631 Posts
Any chance your gas tank is completely full? Some Calibers (including mine) have an issue where a valve of some sort in the tank's venting system fails. The end result is that it can be hard to start the car when the tank is completely (or nearly so) full. Only filling the tank up 7/8 resolves the issue.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
You should hear the fuel pump for only about 3 seconds. If you don't hear it, try swapping the relay with another one. Maybe you'll luck out. As for the switch, try just shading the steering column with a white towel. It will help reflect the sunlight and keep the column cooler. And it's free and easy to do!

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
There is no fuel pump relay. It's all integrated in the frigging TIPM. Totally Integrated Power Module.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
I have no idea, man. I don't even own a Caliber anymore. Maybe Tonatom or Alexs can tell you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please help iput a window shade in front window has been good but the other day drove for awhile parked and it wouldn't start put a box fan under hood started up in like 10 mins. Is there some kind of heat safety switch or something

1 - 13 of 13 Posts