Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Im trying to figure out what's going on with the clutch in my manual 2008 Dodge caliber there's no pressure in the pedal whatsoever I tried to bleed the hydraulic fluid to see if I possibly got air in the line and while doing so noticed I had a leak coming from behind the black plate in the picture posted below. I'm definitely not very car savy and had no luck finding anything online about this part or issue. Any help on this matter would be really appreciated as I've been without my car for quite awhile and really need to get it back up and running.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Helmet Tire Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
12,594 Posts
There is a slave cylinder inside the bell housing.
How many miles and have you ever had the clutch plate changed?

Opening up the gearbox will be expensive so you should do all the jobs possible at the same time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
well, on petrol models the slave cylinder is internal you have to remove the gearbox. It probably needs to be cleaned. otherwise, the clutch would slip. It depends on how many Kilometers or Miles you have, it is worth replacing everything since the work in time is almost the same.

Greetings

·
Registered
860 Posts
The Caliber has what's called a "concentric slave cylinder", which is a combination slave cylinder and throwout bearing. It resides in the bell housing of the transaxle and it sounds like yours is leaking. The only way to replace it is to drop the transaxle, and if you're going to do that, you'll want to also replace the plastic(?) line that runs between the concentric and the outside of the transaxle as well as the clutch itself. You can buy everything except the plastic line as a kit.

Be forewarned that bleeding the clutch is a pain. I've heard that raising the front of the car and pumping the clutch SLOWLY is the key to bleeding it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good.
I forgot to mention. To bleed without having to bleed, we can do it from the slave cylinder bleeder with a syringe and a rubber tube. It's a purge in reverse. It works well and can be done by one person. First we fill a large 60ml syringe with DOT4 liquid and squeeze a little to the end of the tube. We connect this tube to the purger. We loosen the bleeder and vamod tightening the syringe slowly. Hold the tube so it doesn't come out. If it goes well, we close the purger and disconnect the syringe.
If by bad luck there is air left, nothing happens, we put something so that the pedal is pressed all night and the little air that remains will come out by itself by gravity

Greetings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts