Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my caliber used about 9 months ago. It's a 2007 R/T AWD. The warranty ended about 2 months ago. About 3 weeks ago the check engine light came off and on for a week then has stayed on. I got the code as P0139. So i read on here about the ignition test to verify. Did the test and no code appeared. Searched more and found out this may be directly linked to my CVT tranny and needing the new software update. Now I spoke with the local dealership and they said they will just hook the car up and flash everything. Now my question is, will I have to pay anything for getting this done? First time dealing with a dealer as no local shops are able to do this. Thanks for any help I understand I'm new but after coming from Hondas for 6 years I'm a little lost!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Usually if the warranty is up, the flashes are at your expense. Now if this update is covered under a recall, then they should do it at no cost to you. But as far as I know, the P0139 is O2 Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1, Sensor 2) so this should have nothing to do with the tranny.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually if the warranty is up, the flashes are at your expense. Now if this update is covered under a recall, then they should do it at no cost to you. But as far as I know, the P0139 is O2 Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1, Sensor 2) so this should have nothing to do with the tranny.
There is a TSB out that shows this code will show if there is an issue with the PCM for the tranny. Weird I know but I read the TSB on here.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
TSBs are only free if under warranty, after that it's on your dime. Recalls are always free. You also misunderstood the TSB. The PCM in the engine bay is what is being flashed, not the CVT's. The TSB only states that the CVT has to have the most recent software update when the PCM is flashed. If it doesn't, it can cause issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TSBs are only free if under warranty, after that it's on your dime. Recalls are always free.
Well in that case the PCM should be covered under the emission warranty, as this would be the item that needs flashed. Would that be a correct assumption?

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Well in that case the PCM should be covered under the emission warranty, as this would be the item that needs flashed. Would that be a correct assumption?
That's a gray area, and only asking the dealer will you get an answer. Even if it costs, most will do it for less than $150.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the dealer flashed and updated all systems in the car for free. But came to find out I have a bad fuel level sensor which I already knew I had as my needle won't go above 1/2 tank. I thinking this shouldn't hurt me for passing the PA state emissions test.

·
Super Moderator
12,293 Posts
Well the dealer flashed and updated all systems in the car for free.
Sweet especially for new customers.

I've also heard of some including routine ones in their regular service price.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Well the dealer flashed and updated all systems in the car for free. But came to find out I have a bad fuel level sensor which I already knew I had as my needle won't go above 1/2 tank. I thinking this shouldn't hurt me for passing the PA state emissions test.
No problem on the PA inspection - gas gauge is not one of the things looked at.
Only things "inspected" are safety items (brakes, tires, lights, glass, exhaust, etc.,and a quickie road test), and tailpipe emissions. Gas gauge is a convenience item, not a safety item (in PA you don't even need a working spedometer to pass)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts