Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I’m trying to replace 2007 SE ‘s dome light with one that has map lights, etc. This is what I encounter above headliner to access the light’s wires.
What the heck is it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 672 but the wires that plug into the light stop inside this foam and I need the extra length to fit the new light. So do I dig the wires out of the foam? Is it necessary for the wires to be in it?

·
Registered
77 Posts
You can dig them out, but you probably won't get more length out of it.

The wires don't have to be in the foam, it seems there are things up there already when the foam is added, covering things up. The rubber tube for the rear window sprayer is one of those - running along the top passenger side, buried in the foam.

For my roof electrical projects, I just [carefully] dug out the foam. I ended up cutting that rubber tube by not being careful.

Also, note the side curtain airbags, and everything attached to them, should not be touched for any reason.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for this important information! It helps me so much.

Did you tape the wires back when you were done? I suppose the foam is to keep them from rolling around?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rubber tube for the rear window sprayer is one of those - running along the top passenger side, buried in the foam.

For my roof electrical projects, I just [carefully] dug out the foam. I ended up cutting that rubber tube by not being careful.
Also my foam piece is on the driver side and the only wires that seem to be there exit on the back side. I think it’s the same two wires.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just stuffed them all back above the headliner, unsecured. I’m planning on installing cotton-like insulation in the far future, and may reroute them in some type of braided harness.

On my Caliber, there are three wires going to the dome lights; ground, power from column switch (and through opened-door sensor), and computer-controlled power for dome switches themselves (computer-controlled; they will turn off (like marker/headlights) automatically after some time if left on). Just FYI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts