Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be selling my truck soon because gas prices. I am looking at the Calibers as a cheaper alternative vehicle ( I really would like to have a manual transmission, but really either is fine). I am a Mopar guy and have been looking at the Calibers lately. What am I too avoid and what do I need to be on the look out for? Are the Caliber AWD's worth it too?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,467 Posts
AWD - only if you need it.
Avoid - CVT
Look for rust on sub-frames & slack in suspension bushings.
Cheaper ? - only if you do all maintenance at zero time value

·
Administrator
6,527 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AWD - only if you need it.
Avoid - CVT
Look for rust on sub-frames & slack in suspension bushings.
Cheaper ? - only if you do all maintenance at zero time value
Thanks for you response! I'll keep an eye for all of that. I have only heard bad things about the CVT. Was there a regular automatic offered in them?

·
Super Moderator
12,467 Posts
I have only heard bad things about the CVT. Was there a regular automatic offered in them?
Afraid not. By the noughties Chrysler was buying in parts on cost. Fiat began the later move to better quality regular Auto boxes.

Reactions: ItsJustJoe

·
Registered
755 Posts
IMHO buy a 2010-2012 Caliber with the restyled interior and get a 5-speed instead of a CVT. Like others have said, go over the suspension thorougly and check the subframes really well for corrosion...and check the rest of the car for it as well. FiatChrysler never put a regular torque-converted automatic in the Caliber but they DID in its cousins the Jeep Patriot/Compass (starting maybe in 2014 or so). Either of those wouldn't be bad choices but they'll cost you more than a Caliber simply because of the Jeep name.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts