Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello forum!
Warning for high level of newbiness

I'm thinking of new headlights but i dont know is this is a good deal i got here. I have a chanse to buy the ones u see on the picture for about 130 bucks. brand new from the box, just tested.
Is that a good deal and can those of you who recognize them from the picture se if they will fit my SXT 2009?

He said that is was some wirering but does someone now exaktly what has to be done? More pictures will come.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Those are some great looking lights. I'm not sure about wiring them in, but I think you have to wire in a couple of resistors. Brad(Prop1) has extensive experience in electronics and I'm sure he will be able to tell you what is needed in order to keep the TIPM from shutting the circuits down if you don't do it correctly.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I say go for it, its a good deal, just follow the instructions!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanx alot mouser! should have tried to find a how-to first. My bad.
Damn good how-to but it made me realize that i sure will need to get some help for this. Gonna have to load up the fridge with beer and invite some friends to do this :)

What to u guys think of the price? is it reasonable and should i go for it?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Definitely. Those lights go for around $280 generally. You'd be getting a great deal. Do yourself a favor too if you get them, and run a bead of clear silicone around the seal, just to be sure you won't get any water inside.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Definitely. Those lights go for around $280 generally. You'd be getting a great deal. Do yourself a favor too if you get them, and run a bead of clear silicone around the seal, just to be sure you won't get any water inside.
I was just reading an article in Popular Mechanics about leaky headlights. The article stated that there is suppose to be a vent on the top and one on the bottom of the housing. These vents have 2 purposes. One is to allow for equalizing of air pressure between inside and outside. The other is to allow for moisture to escape as the housing warms up. Many times in damp climates, or extreme temperature environments, these vents can become clogged. So basically, if you over seal the housing, or these vents become clogged, the inability of the housing to "breath" will eventually cause leaks in other ways (housing cracks) that will lead to more moisture issues eventually.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those lights go for around $280 generally. ... run a bead of clear silicone around the seal
Yeah it feels like a good deal so i think i'll go for it. But i think i will have to get some help so maybe the final price will be abound $280 anyway.

So basically, if you over seal the housing...
What could be good sealing then? :confused: maybe nothing at all?

Shameless plug for my install thread too :p
Thanks alot! Perfekt to several ways to go :smileup:

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
What could be good sealing then? :confused: maybe nothing at all?
Just make sure if you do extra sealing, you avoid sealing anything that looks like a vent hole.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Thanx alot mouser! should have tried to find a how-to first. My bad.
Damn good how-to but it made me realize that i sure will need to get some help for this. Gonna have to load up the fridge with beer and invite some friends to do this :)

What to u guys think of the price? is it reasonable and should i go for it?
It's actually easy. Just time consuming.

Dont use them joining clips as final install though. Wires will corrode with time. Use them for testing your setup and once you are satisfied, solder everything and you'll never have to go back.

·
Registered
774 Posts
It's actually easy. Just time consuming.

Dont use them joining clips as final install though. Wires will corrode with time. Use them for testing your setup and once you are satisfied, solder everything and you'll never have to go back.
I agree, I've never had luck with those quick clips on anything outside the car. Solder is the best. And don't cut off the old plug if you plan on putting the old ones back in for resale. I did that, and kept the original lights. If they put them back in they'll look brand new hehe!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks alot for all the good tips! I'll keep you guys up to date here if i decide to buy anything :)

·
Super Moderator
12,164 Posts
Those units look like US spec - you will no longer be able to operate your beam height adjustment.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good tip there! but thats a big downside.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yesterday i got my new babys! Can't what til i get them on.

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Those will look great on your Caliber :smileup: Hurry up and put them on!!!!!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Yah!! I second that! :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts