Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I created an account just to post this lol
This is my first dodge I've ever owned, and I'm struggling here.
I've replaced the water pump, spark plugs, thermostat housing oring, starter, battery, radiator cap, fuses, the 4 relays in the mythical relay block below the drivers side headlight, intake manifold gasket, and now finally, the head gasket.

After reassembly, did a compression test, and all the cylinders read 0.
In the process of doing the first cylinder, a camshaft bearing cap snapped in two and broke a bolt off in the head.
Because of that, during the 2nd cylinder compression test, the intake camshaft snapped in half.

So now we get to my current dilemma.
A local salvage yard has an 07 2.0l caliber and a 2014 dodge avenger 2.0l that they said I can pull engine /motor parts from, didn't get pricing info.

But, there's also another salvage shop (they don't let you pull parts, they do it themselves) that offered me not one, but THREE complete heads. Camshafts, cam bearing caps, timing gears, the works, for $75
One from, again, a 2014 dodge avenger, one from an 07 caliber, and I stopped listening the third option because all I heard was "complete head from a caliber for $75" lolol

Is there a chance my head is warped, potentially what caused the snapped bearing cap and zero compression?

Or should I try extracting the broken bolt and replacing the intake camshaft, and hope it was just a fluke?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The compression tester should be fine. Before the head gasket swap it was reading fine. Cylinders 1 and 4 around 120, cylinder around 95-100,and cylinder 2 was around 85.was getting a cylinder 2 misfire code, so the numbers seemed accurate. I could borrow a compression test from an auto store though.

But I don't think I can even use a compression test until I either extract that broken bolt and replace the intake camshaft, or just replace the whole head.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Replace the engine...for the few hundred bucks a junkyard engine will cost it's not worth trying to troubleshoot the old one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have the few hundred dollars to replace it. I think I was quoted around $500 at the main salvage yard. I'm gonna go look at the complete head of the 2014 dodge avenger tomorrow after I use a borescope/endoscope to make sure the pistons are still good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts