Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, been a while since I've logged in. Finally got some funds to repair my caliber. I had the dreaded lightening bolt and safe mode crop up. Perusing through Rock Auto, I found an odd new bit of tech. Dorman makes an "upgraded" ETB now with a stationary Hall Effect sensor, instead of the standard moving variable electronic sensor. They also added a new bushing on the butterfly stem, to help keep more liquid and debris away from the innards. Being Dorman, I find it questionable of course, but it does have a limited lifetime warranty as well. Has anyone dealt with these before, any issues or complaints about how the new sensor messes with acceleration/deceleration?

Heres the links: More Information for DORMAN 977025

·
Registered
866 Posts
I know enough about Dorman to not trust anything they sell. Before I knew better I bought some replacement chrome-covered lug nuts for my Caliber from them and the chrome skins fell off the first time I used them!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris, certainly agree with you on Dormans garbage quality. However, I'm really interested in the design aspect. If it's a viable option, I hope better manufacturers take up the torch. It would absolutely fix many issues with the current OEM design, less plastic gears to break and no potentiometer style sensor makes sense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In an ironic twist of fate, the one on my car that died was actually this very model. I bought the caliber used from my brother in law, who had to replace it before. He was confused however, as the dealer had lied and said they couldnt use it and he'd have to purchase an OEM one from them. I was intending on using his aftermarket one that was supposedly not installed. Took it off and saw the Dorman logo immediately, mumbling curse words.

For what it's worth, the car didn't get much use prior to me buying it, and the throttle light would come on intermittently for months before biting the bullet. I now feel it also was messing with the gas mileage a bit, as I was never able to reach near the top for MPG.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts