Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a 2007 1.8 Caliber (PB + LPG). I like the look and feel of the car, however I've noticed a few things that worry me:
  • the transmission: shifting gears can be pretty rough, especially the reverse gear (which is sometimes even hard to shift into) and /or when I first start the car. After I get going the transmission between 2->3->4->5 is fine. Is this a sign that my gearbox and / or clutch is nearing the end of it's life? The car has 160 000 kms on it, although it may be more in reality :D
  • the headrest is annoying and uncomfortable for me - I am 190cms (6ft 3ich) tall and because of the angle of the headrest I can't really place my head on it, the back of my head touches the top of the headrest. I've read on forum that perhaps I can swap it out for one from Chrystler 300c - is this true? Would this fit?

• another thing is the car is pretty loud and squeaky inside - I suppose that is standard for this model?
  • the radio is losing the signal easily, it works in a bigger city, but outside or on the highway it doesn't. I have the super short 'fin' antenna

Did anyone have similar issues? Any good solutions, advice? This is my first Dodge car and they aren't very common where I live (Poland) so any help / advice is appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
742 Posts
You might try changing the oil in your transmission...if it's too thick it can cause issues shifting into gears until it warms up and thins out. IIRC it uses Chrysler ATF+4 fluid.

The interior of the 2007-early 2010 Calibers were super cheap so rattles and squeaks aren't uncommon. The redesigned interior of the 2010-2012 Calibers (including the redesigned headrests) is appreciably better.

I don't know about European models but here in the US the Caliber came with a standard steel "whip" antenna for AM/FM radio reception on the passenger front fender.

·
Super Moderator
12,440 Posts
The fins are for style not reception.
You should still have the original fitting underneath. I use a longer VW style spiral type.

The boxy cabin adds resonance to the road noise above squeaks and rattles.

I use memory foam neck cushions on the headrests that makes them very comfortable.

Reactions: Toluvel

·
Super Moderator
12,440 Posts
These are my cushions

Leather, embossed, memory foam, fit around headrest supports

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the replies :) I decided to go ahead and order the Chrysler 300 headrest, it wasn't expensive (20$ or so) so what the hell :D If it doesn't fit I'll have to get some of those cushions, they do look good :) I'll update the thread once I get the headrest for everyone who is also looking to replace theirs with Chrysler's. Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For anyone interested: Chrysler 300C front headrest does fit in the Dodge Caliber, however the height adjustment isn't as tight, if you push it a little harder it will easily snap out. The original headrest required a little more force. But overall the headrest is much more comfortable and - what is important - not annoying :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Important to note that the headrest in the redesigned 2010-2012 caliber (the one that's solid and not donut shaped) has a whiplash prevention mechanism in it, so replacing it with something from another vehicle may not be possible.

·
Registered
261 Posts
…shifting gears can be pretty rough, especially the reverse gear (which is sometimes even hard to shift into) and /or when I first start the car. After I get going the transmission between 2->3->4->5 is fine. Is this a sign that my gearbox and / or clutch is nearing the end of it's life?
I had this exact problem, it turned out to be bad motor mounts. The engine and transmission would jump around a lot when shifting, and it made it difficult to get into reverse.

I put in new motor mounts and it now shifts like a dream.

The car has four motor mounts.

Here is a post I made on the rear mount: Lurching issue.....bad motor mounts

I used this mount on the front: https://thmotorsports.com/5245205-torque-solution-ts-dc-003-engine-mounts

I used the stock factory mounts for the left and right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts