Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ihave no tac when it comes to my 2010 caliber express am i red lineing at 6000 rpm or is it more? What would be the best tac to add to my car?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Your best bet is to go to a dealer and have a new cluster installed, or even have a shop install a after market one, btw, post some photos, enjoi!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
you can get aftermarket gages.. they make everything you need ..you can put them on your window frame.. column I ran a scangageII from my port up through the window frame and to my rearview mirror..and zip tied it there and velcro the thing to the top of the mirror ..now you have every gage you could need in one place...all neatly tucked away.. welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Good evening,

I use the method showed in the attached screenshot. Members can click on them ( if they wish ) to see it @ the original width. But it's just my style. Others prefer the full method. ;)
I try to be gentle in the bandwidth of members still on 56k modems. I used to be on this equipement a few months ago.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I didnt know a dealer could install a new gauge cluster with a tach. How much would that cost? Also, Id like to see pics of how you have your scangauge mounted. Ive considered buying one of those especially since it can be mounted in any car.

-D

·
Super Squirrel
818 Posts
depends on the dealer my dealer refuses to do it and says it wont work

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
No reason at all to change the cluster, it is a total waste of money, and grossly overpriced for what you will gain.

Something like the "Scangauge" or its imitators/competitors is the only way to go. Also since it is a plug-in, it can jump from car to car with little trouble at all.

Also with a stick, after some practice, your ears and sense of the road work a lot better than any tach for determining the best shift points.

Under normal driving conditions, it is almost impossible to come anywhere near the redline anyway. Even so, the maximum RPM is electronically limited, so you cannot exceed redline for any long period of time.

·
Registered
711 Posts
No reason at all to change the cluster, it is a total waste of money, and grossly overpriced for what you will gain.

Something like the "Scangauge" or its imitators/competitors is the only way to go. Also since it is a plug-in, it can jump from car to car with little trouble at all.

Also with a stick, after some practice, your ears and sense of the road work a lot better than any tach for determining the best shift points.

Under normal driving conditions, it is almost impossible to come anywhere near the redline anyway. Even so, the maximum RPM is electronically limited, so you cannot exceed redline for any long period of time.

Tee-hee, normal driving lol

Ive hit fuel cutoff a few times on accident. Its more or less the car sounds like it wants to keep going, but then bam, fuel cut :i_rolleyes:

I dont have a tach on mine either, and it really doesnt bother me THAT much, but you would think chrysler would have thought "Hmm, stick shift cars should come with a tach standard, and the cvt's dont need them" not the other way around.

I dont understand why the cvt caliber needs a tach... Is is so that you can see the rpm hanging at 6k when you jam the gas down?

Anyway, either the scangauge or the msd tach driver and an aftermarket gauge is all it takes.

·
Super Moderator
12,467 Posts
Maybe not related to the tranny but the trim spec.

Tach cluster is described as PREMIUM

Usually blank or repositioned warning lights, I would have split the fuel and temp guages.
Maybe a 1.8 SE owner can enlighten us?

Reactions: Francois

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Exactly Aleks :smileup:

On the base model, they are very big gauges ( Fuel & Temp. ). For RPM i use the Scangauge².

1 - 13 of 13 Posts