Dodge Caliber Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Alright, just following up. Still can't find the problem. Can you give me an idea of where to go from here?

The thing is on that on the thread Glenn linked me, that guy is having a completely different problem than I' having. I understand they may be linked. My car isn't doing any of the things his was.

Summary from his thread:

"Driving out of a parking lot when I believe I rev'd higher than usual in 1st and in 2nd gears. Shortly after, lightning bolt flashed numerous times. The car felt as if it was in limp mode...minimal throttle response, difficult to reach normal driving speeds. The vehicle idle was very rough, throttle response back to how it was prior - non-existent."
First of all, you don't have "gears". You have a CVT, which means Continuously Variable Transmission. What you are likely describing is the torque converter locking up. That happens between 15 and 20 mph.

Back to your problem. Now that you have the other stuff out of the way; the next thing is to clean the throttle body. If it's sticking it will not track the computer's direction properly and the computer will try to compensate and the results will be jerking and lack of throttle response. If cleaning doesn't work; it likely means like the other person found out. The throttle body was bad and needed replacing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The Summary part of the post I added was from the thread that Glenn had sent me to. I know I don't have gears. Which that gentleman has a manual.

Anyways, I will clean my throttle body tonight to see if that helps.

Also, this "jerking" only happens at high speeds...like 60+mph AND it has to be under a load, like going up hill. It will not do it at low speeds or if I'm going at a decline.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Since it only seems to do it at high speed and under a load, why don't you rent a fuel pressure tester from Autozone? You can attach it to the schrader valve on the fuel rail and attach the gauge under your windshield wiper and take it for a test run. when it starts "jerking" take a look at your fuel pressure. Maybe the fuel pump is going out or you have some kind of restriction in the fuel line. I'm just guessing. Forgot to add that the rental is actually free in the loan-a-tool program at the zone. You put a deposit on it, use it and return it and get your deposit back in full. If you don't return it, you bought it at an inflated price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
AWESOME! I didn't even know there was such a program!
I will do that! I'll test that out and see how it reads and report back here :)

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
The Summary part of the post I added was from the thread that Glenn had sent me to. I know I don't have gears. Which that gentleman has a manual.

Anyways, I will clean my throttle body tonight to see if that helps.

Also, this "jerking" only happens at high speeds...like 60+mph AND it has to be under a load, like going up hill. It will not do it at low speeds or if I'm going at a decline.
Since the throttle and CVT are closely coupled, it doesn't take much of an issue with the engine to cause what you describe. If the throttle body isn't doing what the computer expects it to be doing, it starts searching by sending signals trying to get it to do what it suppose to do. You could have some worn teeth like the other person and the butterfly is slipping back and forth. When an engine is at high throttle and under load; you're going to notice it more. But cleaning is the first step.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Update: I cleaned my throttle body REALLY well. Took it for a test run and it seemed to be fixed. Over the next week it did jerk a few times on and off, but it was significantly better. Until today, I had to go on a long trip and it was the worst it's ever been. The ETC light is coming on more often and staying on longer. At times I'm pretty sure it's gonna die.

I noticed something, if I DO NOT move the RPMs I can almost get it to stop.

I'm gonna spend the day looking for a Throttle Body replacement.

I have 2 questions:
1. Is there a chance it could be the Throttle Positioning Sensor?

2.I haven't had the time to go to Auto Zone to rent a Fuel Pressure Tester, but I plan on doing it this week. Is there a chance that if it was a problem with it starving for fuel/pressure etc it would flash the ETC light?

Thank you everyone for taking time to help me with all of this!

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Update: I cleaned my throttle body REALLY well. Took it for a test run and it seemed to be fixed. Over the next week it did jerk a few times on and off, but it was significantly better. Until today, I had to go on a long trip and it was the worst it's ever been. The ETC light is coming on more often and staying on longer. At times I'm pretty sure it's gonna die.

I noticed something, if I DO NOT move the RPMs I can almost get it to stop.

I'm gonna spend the day looking for a Throttle Body replacement.

I have 2 questions:
1. Is there a chance it could be the Throttle Positioning Sensor?

2.I haven't had the time to go to Auto Zone to rent a Fuel Pressure Tester, but I plan on doing it this week. Is there a chance that if it was a problem with it starving for fuel/pressure etc it would flash the ETC light?

Thank you everyone for taking time to help me with all of this!
Replace the throttle body. The sensor is part of the assembly and can not be replaced separately. I doubt this is a fuel pressure issue.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ok, so I just finished breezing through this thread. Hopefully you breezed through mine...Onto the issue at hand.

Just a correction if I didn't add this in my previous thread. I did also experience a similar response like my engine was struggling up a hill, but the ETC light did not come on until I was driving around city streets in the lower gears and revving my rpms up in an unusual manner, kind of like driving like a teenager.

It sounds like you have the ETC light, and the p1607 code so this sounds similar. I would try to stay pretty close with the suggestions by Prop1 on this and Ill also point out a couple concerns I see:

First, It sounds like your battery was tested but if you could be more specific about where you took it to and if that place also tested your alternator, maybe a stress test on the electrical system. Just a note, but a whining noise in the engine bay sounds like an alternator issue to me.

Secondly, if those tests come back and don't resolve the issue, I would just continue reviewing the thread I posted to see if we can all get ahead of this one. I can't say that the format is going to resolve your particular issue but it sounds like you have enough of the same identifiers with the ETC light, throttle response and that scary P1607 code to start going through my steps 1 by 1. If you know how to test the coil packs I would do that next,, if not, just replace them as those are wearable items and pretty affordable, BUT PLEASE FIRST CONFIRM YOU TOOK YOUR BATTERY AND A SHOP PLUGGED IT IN AND TESTED OK.

I can't wait to see the results on this one, I'm really hoping we can resolve this quickly for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi Jbrown! I have read and re-read your thread about replacing the throttle body at least a half dozen times. I agree it sounds like we are having very similar issues.

I did test my battery and my charging system. I did it at home with a tester I have. Both showed good. I did test all 4 of my coils, which all tested to be in working order.

I ordered a throttle body. But now I'm concerned about something else. I took mine out to give it a thorough cleaning. For one, it doesn't look that dirty (but that could be from me cleaning it previously) The butterfly flap is very smooth and easy to move and I noticed there is OIL RESIDUE in it?! That can't be good right? Is that typical of a throttle body when they go out?

I really hope this isn't a sign of the engine being shot.

The service guy at the dealership told me "Are you sure it's your throttle body? I've never heard of those going out". Sigh.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Hi Jbrown! I have read and re-read your thread about replacing the throttle body at least a half dozen times. I agree it sounds like we are having very similar issues.

1> I did test my battery and my charging system. I did it at home with a tester I have. Both showed good. I did test all 4 of my coils, which all tested to be in working order.

I ordered a throttle body. But now I'm concerned about something else. I took mine out to give it a thorough cleaning. For one, it doesn't look that dirty (but that could be from me cleaning it previously) The butterfly flap is very smooth and easy to move and 2> I noticed there is OIL RESIDUE in it?! That can't be good right? Is that typical of a throttle body when they go out?

3> I really hope this isn't a sign of the engine being shot.

4>The service guy at the dealership told me "Are you sure it's your throttle body? I've never heard of those going out". Sigh.
1> To properly test a charging system requires putting it under a load. You did not do that at home. Take it some where where it can be properly tested.

2> Sure it is oil and not just carbon residue from the cleaning? If it is oil; it maybe from a bad PCV.

3> I seriously doubt that. There is no indication based on your description.

4> He a moron. If he's a service advisory; it doesn't say much for the techs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey Amy,

Thanks for the quick reply....Ill stick close with Prop1 on this one....Walmart and autozone can give you a pretty quick 2nd opinion on the battery for free, and its free so what do you have to lose, just imo....

Secondly, dealerships aren't your friend, I'm curious to know what the service advisor did tell you and I could probably guess, PCM Replace, $1000 and 3 days time, yea, NO...I had similar residue on my TB so unless you regularly overfill your oil and you find the residue also when you open the air intake box, I also wouldn't be concerned.

Lastly, You are talking about the TPS, but Prop1 posted about this, The TPS for the Dodge calibers is inside the Throttle body in a water tight portion so technically, yes, maybe the throttle body is going bad and the internals are going bad but the only way to really know is to swap it out. Other older chrysler models had the TPS on the outside like a plug, it just isn't the case with our model.

My suggestion would be to look at the Throttle body connector first, I can tell you that just attempting to take that connector attached to the throttle body was 3/4 of the battle of what I did in that previous thread, just identifying that it could be replaced as well. The old connector was frail and old, when i took it off it broke just because of the elements and heat in the engine bay. You can visually inspect it to see if the pins are loose or corroded and hopefully plug it back in. NOTE: IF YOU BOUGHT THE THROTTLE BODY AND ARE GOING TO REPLACE IT, PLEASE FIRST BUY THE CONNECTOR JUST AS A BACK UP. You don't want to get stuck with a broken connector, trust me.

Again, this is just trial and error and you are doing a really good job so far so keep posting but please, if you read my thread, then you know I mentioned, and others saw in hindsight, A bad battery could have been the cause of this whole thing so please go back and get that 2nd opinion before you start spending more money on replacement parts that may not really be needing the replacement at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hey Guys!

Prop1, I totally agree with you about the service guy at Dodge being a moron. Anyone that spends more than 10 mins on these forums could find that it looks like the throttle body going out seems to be pretty common.

I took my battery to Auto Zone today, both my battery and my charging system tested good. So at least that rules that out.

Now just waiting for the TB to come in. My question now is if I need to get it reflashed after it comes in? If so, I'd like to make an appt at the dealership now if that's the case. When I asked this question to the dealership he just told me that it has to go through a "relearning process". Since we've established that he's a moron, does anyone know what this entails?

I know JBrowner had to get his reflashed but my research finds that's the case with the 07 & 08s only. Can anyone confirm this?

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Hey Guys!

Prop1, I totally agree with you about the service guy at Dodge being a moron. Anyone that spends more than 10 mins on these forums could find that it looks like the throttle body going out seems to be pretty common.

I took my battery to Auto Zone today, both my battery and my charging system tested good. So at least that rules that out.

Now just waiting for the TB to come in. My question now is if I need to get it reflashed after it comes in? If so, I'd like to make an appt at the dealership now if that's the case. When I asked this question to the dealership he just told me that it has to go through a "relearning process". Since we've established that he's a moron, does anyone know what this entails?

I know JBrowner had to get his reflashed but my research finds that's the case with the 07 & 08s only. Can anyone confirm this?
The computer has to learn the new TB. If you do the TIPM/PCM reset procedure (found in Electrical forum section) and follow it with the "Procedure" (found in Knowledge Base) for re-learning the throttle body response; you may be able to avoid the dealer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ill confirm that.....the re flash was done prior to the new tb install.

Just a note but while I was in the middle of the repair work I also did the throttle re learn I discussed in my thread. It didnt fix the issue and im unsure if it actually did anything at all but there have been many discussions about the re learn process of depressing the gas pedal helping with throttle response.

Prop1 is talking about wiping the slate clean by basically resetting back to default. From my research, this is a very important step anytime you are replacing electrical engine components like the TB.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
UPDATE:
MY CAR IS FIXED!!!! I finally got the throttle body in and installed yesterday. The jerking motion, the ETC light flashing and all other issues have been resolved. Followed JBrowner's thread and directions for replacement and everything is working exactly how it's suppose to.

I would really like to say thank you to everyone that has assisted me on this forum....everyone's responses were very helpful and knowledgeable. I hope this thread helps some other lost Caliber owner having the same issue as I was.

[X] Marked as FIXED! (YAY)

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Another one for the "Win" column! :smileup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
UPDATE:
MY CAR IS FIXED!!!! I finally got the throttle body in and installed yesterday. The jerking motion, the ETC light flashing and all other issues have been resolved. Followed JBrowner's thread and directions for replacement and everything is working exactly how it's suppose to.

I would really like to say thank you to everyone that has assisted me on this forum....everyone's responses were very helpful and knowledgeable. I hope this thread helps some other lost Caliber owner having the same issue as I was.

[X] Marked as FIXED! (YAY)
Did u reprogram the throttle body?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts