Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Theory:
When I first started researching what options I wanted in my CSRT-4, I decided early on that I wanted a MyGig/Uconnect Studio. I have 200gig of mp3 music on my home computer and haven't hardly used cd's in 6 years; I just buy them and rip them. I had a 20gig Phatbox in my Jetta and an 80gig iPod/Dice dock in my Audi. It was time for me to move to a clean touchscreen control in my car.

I've driven several cars with nav and haven't been too impressed with them. I've noticed Nav works great about 95% of the time, but that last 5% really screws you up. Besides, I live in Cheyenne; I can ride my bicycle across town in 15 minutes, I really don't need nav to get around this place. I didn't want nav maps taking up all my precious hdd space.

I was looking at '09 CSRT-4's which I could get Uconnect in, but the '08's were such better deals. So I bought and '08 on the weekend. I'd just retrofit a Uconnect into an '08, right? Not a chance. Monday, when the parts dept. was open, I trotted my happy ass in to buy a Uconnect and after much wailing and nashing of teeth found my dreams dashed.

I started looking into aftermarket systems, but they were hashed together with all the adapters needed to make sat, steering wheel controls, and usb work. Most relied on an iPod for digital storage (I hate iTunes) and all were rather slow to boot up. I didn't like it, but it's the only option I saw.

Enter this forum with GeeEssFour and Technomuzik; my saviors! They opened mine eyes to the wonders of a retrofitted MyGig. Life was worth living again.

Parts:
REN (low speed is needed for '08's and older) ($350!)Non-nav 20gig hdd (16gig open).
MyGig Lockpick Adapter - purchased on eBay for $285 from Coastal eTech.
Sirius Antenna 13' extension cable ($30)- #0508415AF eBay - MrCD1 (he has lots of MyGigs for good prices).
Bezel - Alloy Silver 1LG981SFAA (Dull Silver, $50) From a dealer.
Tools:
#2 crosstip short ratcheting screwdriver or 1/4" drive ratchet and socket (forgot the size)
#2 crosstip screw/drill driver
Large 1/2" drive hex socket
Wire clothes hanger
stiff chisel tip putty knife or small prybar

I was going to run the sat cable through the headliner to the stereo like TM, but when I got out to 'Vader' to start the job I couldn't figure out how to get it opened up and didn't relish all the work it would take. I noticed the original sat receiver is on the drivers side cargo floor and it's a short trip down the between seat console to the h/u. So I decided to route it that way instead. With this shortcut, it took me about two hours to do the install; and that's with a couple dead end ideas and taking all the pics for this how-to. Onwards ...

Let's open it up ...

Go to Episode 2

·
Registered
3,985 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, I used TM's post to guide my install.

Thanks for adding the additional links, Mouser! :Racing:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was wondering. What is the use of the lockpick adapter? Is it just for the features that you can't use while driving or does the entire system not work without it?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I was wondering. What is the use of the lockpick adapter? Is it just for the features that you can't use while driving or does the entire system not work without it?
The MYGIG Lockpick ADAPTER has many features to unlock and allow full use of your MYGIG radio,
plus additional capabilities to allow simple upgrades to your vehicle. This can include:
• The ability to use the navigation system without restrictions including the ability to input addresses,
search points of interest, etc. while in motion.
• You can also enjoy full use and video viewing of the MYGIG DVD player when desired.
• The Lockpick will provide full multimedia audio and video inputs. With the multimedia cable
harness you can plug in your video iPOD, Zune, gaming or computer system and view them on
demand and while in motion.
• The Lockpick interface will automatically or manually turn on the REAR VIEW CAMERA
function of your MYGIG radio for automatic rear views while in reverse. You can also manually
turn on the camera, even in Park or Drive. This works in all applications with automatic and
manual transmissions.
• The Lockpick is Front camera ready and will allow activation manually or it can display the front
camera view automatically. When set for automatic use, the camera will turn on when the vehicle
slows to below 8 mph and turn off when it accelerates above 8 mph for great parking assistance.
• Accessory + 12V power for 2 Cameras are built in to the Lockpick harness. No need to search for
proper power connections.
• The MYGIG LOCKPICK will activate Uconnect and Voice modes in NAVIGATION radios.
• The Lockpick will enable the use of an aftermarket Bluetooth handsfree kit in non-nav radios.
• If your vehicle is equipped with an instrument panel EVIC display, the Lockpick will allow the
MYGIG radio to display all operating information including mode, channel number, preset number,
CD track number etc. Also full navigation guidance information is displayed including street name,
distance and turn directions.
• The Lockpick will allow independent volume settings for radio volume, uconnect phone volume and
navigation guidance volume universally in all factory configurations from base model sound systems
to all types of premium sound systems.
• Steering wheel controls are fully supported so you can change modes, presets, stations, CD or hard
drive tracks and volume all from your present steering wheel buttons.

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
hi, does anybody know if the Rec Mygig Lockpick Adaptor v.2 will work for a 07 caliber? will be using a non-nav low speed unit.
Hi! Where are you from ? On your other post you said you're in the uk but your info say "us" ... this could be interesting to answer to your question (btw it would be nice if yiou could go in the newbie checkin area and intrroduce yourself in the proper way ;) )

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
hi, does anybody know if the Rec Mygig Lockpick Adaptor v.2 will work for a 07 caliber? will be using a non-nav low speed unit.
REC lockpick and Mygig lock pick are two different things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts