Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here, I am unsure if I needed to post a "Hey My Name Is...." Post to introduce myself or not, if I needed to, I apologize in advance, my name is Pete, and I own a 2009 dodge caliber, never really had a major problem, and whatever problem(s) it did have I managed to get it taken care of pretty quickly in the last 10 years which is the length of time I owned this car.

Started off about a week ago when I heard bubbling and gurgling under the hood, stopped immediately to take a look and my radiator cap was leaking, so I thought, took it to my service shop and come to find out the whole hose was bad, replaced it, which thus stopped the leak, ever since then, my engine has been runner hot, or at least running more hot then normal, before I had the problem with the hose, the temp gauge would faithfully stay a tad bit below "Normal (Middle)" But after the hose was changed, the temp gauge has been going wild (Not in a fast way, but in a abnormal way), when I first crank the car and drive for the first 10 miles or so, it is fine, obviously because the engine hasn't gotten hot yet, but after the engine warms up (AC ON OR OFF) the temp gauge starts moving in the hot direction, once the car is idling (at red light etc) but I guess because of the forced air flow once driving, it cools back down once I drive at a constant speed of around 40 plus, does anyone have any ideas of what this could be?

Things I Checked:
No water in oil (no signs of Head gasket issue + Recently replaced a couple months ago)

Things I'm thinking it could be:
Thermostat? (HOW WOULD I CHECK?)
Fans? (HOW WOULD I CHECK?)

What else could it be?

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
Fans are easy, when it's hot just stop and take a look.
Hose is likely a symptom, an old hose will give if under pressure so likely a thermostat not opening.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Turning on your AC will cause the fans to automatically start running, so that's an easy way to check those. Another thing to check that a lot of people don't think of is the radiator cap...if the seal on it has failed it can cause overheating issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts