Dodge Caliber Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
wow your car can go throught the mississippi with no problem now! Nice work shaun!

·
Registered
401 Posts
keep up the good work Shaun

·
Registered
719 Posts
i ran a iceman intake on my neon during the winter and the filter was just barely above the bottom of the bumper and my car was lowered.. had about 4" ground clearance (if even that) no problems.
I ran a cold air intake on my neon through the winter as well but i am concerned with the placement that this set up had that while the vehicle is in motion, the filter would be getting blasted with all the crap that comes off the road during the winter...by going right through the fog light opening.. This puts it in the direct path of snow, ice and slush...at least with the way the neon was set up there was not exactly a direct path to the filter for the elements of nature. I dont remember ever seeing any build up on the filter of my neon during the winter.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Or you could adjust the 90 pipe with the air filter on the end and turn it upward to avoid direct hits (look at the assembled pic at the beginning of this thread).
The waterproofing screens should work in this case too.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
UPDATE:
I went through what I would consider my CAI's "Final Exam" yesterday afternoon on my drive home. A one hour drive through an absolute nightmare torrential downpour thunderstorm. The CAI did great! Not one hiccup, hesitation, or sign of water intake. A+! There was enough water thrown around to drown a fish... buckets of rain, big puddles... the works!
Here's a picture out the front of the window...

This was at about 5:30pm, the sun was still out... somewhere.
I was a bit worried about what might happen, but I am happy to say the CAI performed exactly as it would have if it were a dry sunny day. The waterproofing seems to have done its job. I can't imagine anything worse than that storm... unless of course I drive nose first into a lake!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I'm sold! What about the sound? Did the noise also go down when you waterproofed it?
No, there was no change in noise after the waterproofing. But it's really not a loud CAI to begin with. It's SOOOO much less sound than the K&N CAI (which I had at first) because the air filter on this CAI design is parked in the fog light cavity... far away from the engine compartment (and driver's seat). Plus I lined the fog light cavity with 1/4" foam padding (basic carpet padding) to dampen the sound further, which did help soften the sound more. I wouldn't call it a "noise" at this point. It's only as loud as the engine at any given rpm.

·
Registered
535 Posts
OMG!!! I completed my CAI and you were not kidding shaun! I raced a ford 150 at the light yesterday and basically walked right passed him. Usually I would creep passed 150's Now to add the nos and I will be walking about from all those stuck up mustang kids. REPS for Shaun!!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
OMG!!! I completed my CAI and you were not kidding shaun! I raced a ford 150 at the light yesterday and basically walked right passed him. Usually I would creep passed 150's Now to add the nos and I will be walking about from all those stuck up mustang kids. REPS for Shaun!!!!
SWEEEEET! Glad it works for you. :smileup:
Did you take any pics? I'd love to see yours.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm glad to see all of your efforts paid off. I have wanted to post on this topic for a while now and just kept forgetting. I don't know if anyone has checked them out, but Spectre Performance makes a pretty good intake system that would serve the same function. There filters can be fitted with a connector that allows you to keep the filter up high and run your tubing down below with the option of an inlet piece. I used this set up on my 07 Pontiac G5 and the increase in torque and fuel mileage was unbelievable. I will be setting up the same type of system in my cali, but that will have to wait until I get back on my feet seeing that I just got laid off after 15 years with a company.:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
about your intake

wow that looks amazing and i want to do that to mine i also live in central florida in kissimmee/orlando border around the florida mall and i want to see if you can help me do something like that to my caliber all i have been able to do to mine is put a sound system and paint some dodge viper strips to my car i was hoping to start some tunner work but really dont know how to start, but this seems perfect i actually am bidding on a cold air intake right now and it got 3 days left on it so it would be great if i can hear from you before than my number 407 770 8569 my name is lionel thanx and sweet mod

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the idea

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted in here. I built my intake last friday and it has been great. Cost me about 85 dollars for everything including the filter. I went with spectre but I am not sure I am going to keep the one I got.. it is huge!!! The only thing left is to buy the sock for it and seal the headlight on the bottom so that I don't have to much drip from there. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
577 Posts
i know lots of guys who have there filter where yours is with no problems, aparently because its so far away from the engine the water cant make it that far or even drys out before it gets there.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.