Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright Ill be documenting my build here.

The HU will be an Eclipse CD7000 with the GPS105 and IPC106 addons. The GPS105 gives the HU area shot GPS capabilities and will display it right on the screen with the push of a button. The IPC106 is my iPod interface adapter that will allow me to charge, play, and control the iPod from the HU faceplate.

The speakers are old school Rockford Fosgate P1694C 4 way 6x9s. I think I may swap out the fronts for a pair of 6.5" mids so I can run my LPG 25NFA tweets up front. Either way the entire setup will be active in the front and rear stage.

With subs I have lots of options at my disposal. I can run 2 Image Dynamic ID8D2V3's in a 1.7 net cube black box with black port, 45's in the corners, tuned at 34Hz on [email protected] I can run my DC Audio Level 4 15" D2 in the 4.5 net cube charcoal grey box tuned at 32Hz on [email protected] I can also run an old school Rockford Fosgate P2 10" sub on [email protected] I may also have the option of an old school Alumapro Alusion 10" sub as well depending on if the guy gets back to me.

The amp will be the same for all setups. It is an older Cadence Z1200 from 2003. It is rated for [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected], but does [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected] all with a THD of .04%. This thing will sound awesome on any sub combo I go with.

For power and ground I have Stinger Custom Pro 4 gauge all around. RCAs are Rockford Fosgate RFI-16 16m 2 channel RCA's. Ill be using 3 sets of these. 2 channels on the sub, and the last 4 for active duty.

Ive got about 126sq ft of Second Skin Damp Pro and 20 or so SPL tiles left. After the subs are in Ill be deciding what needs additional deadening and start trouble shooting rattles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im currently waiting on my nav dash bezel from the dealership. My Metra Axxess harness arrives tomorrow.

Tonight Ill be snagging pics of the HU, GPS105, IPC106, the dis-assembly of the old harness for my '99 Grand Prix and a few snaps of the Cadence Z1200.

Tomorrow Ill get pictures of the ID8D2V3's and the DC Audio. Be on the lookout for a poll. Ill also snag pictures of the wiring, distro block, and RCA's.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
As of now I have the RF P1694c 6x9s in all 4 corners. I have 2 Second Skin SPL tiles behind each speaker. Here are some shots of the new RF compared to the old stock:

Installed:

Eclipse CD7000, IPC106, GPS105, and the harnesses I have to seperate tonight.

Cadence Z1200 with a hint of gut shot.

Subs and wiring tomorrow along with the new harness on the Eclipse CD7000.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today I got the wiring harness cleaned up and the Metra Axxess CanBus wired up. I used grey wirenut's for the wiring and some 0/3 gauge heat shrink. For wiring I wanted something I could add or remove easily since I have all of these addons for the Eclipse CD7000. I needed something that was more or less plug and play, but more secure than bullet connectors.

Heres the final outcome of that:

Tomorrow I get the satin silver nav bezel and Wednesday or Thursday I get the HU bezel for installation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
those cadence amps were/are nice man...you should learn to solder and solder/heat shrink that harness you will like the results much better.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the heatshrink down. I cant justify buying a cheap solder iron to use one time.

With all the accessories I have for the CD7000 I need something thats quick disconnect so I can easily add/remove components as needed.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright Im going to Home Depot today to pick up a soldering iron and try my hand at it. What type of solder am I looking for? I assume lead free?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright its been soldered and heatshrunk. Much better and ALOT more secure. Ill get pictures after class tonight.

I did make 1 mistake. I accidentally soldered and heatshrunk the black and yellow wires and I need those 2 wires for my IPC106 wiring. Oh well its an easy fix. 5-10 minutes at most. I have to do it in vehicle anyways simply because there is a molex on one end and I need to run the wires first.

·
Registered
24 Posts
glad to hear you soldered it and mistakes are a part of learning...props for taking the extra steps and doing it right

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It wasnt really a mistake. It was more along the lines I forgot to wire up another harness for my IPC106. Ill get that taken care of tomorrow though when I get the HU, sub, amp, and wiring done.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ran the power wire today. I have to get it through the grommet under the fender and connect it. Other than that I have the HU install and the amp to wire up tonight. Should be pretty painless as far as the HU goes. It should only take about an hour or so total with the hardest part being the power wire.

I also put about 10sq ft of deadener in the spare tire area while I was running the power wire. I think I got rid of the noise I was hearing which is great.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the HU in as well as the iPod interface and the GPS interface. Its all housed in dash with the iPod cord coming out of the base of the center console. The iPod will sit right in the front part of the center console with the cup holders. I have to get back in there and move some stuff around though. The interfaces are rubbing on the heating and cooling controls and making some annoying noise. I still cant get the power wire through.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know. My wife has been pissed Ive been spending so much time in the car so I dont have all the pictures I wanted. But I do have an easy way to get the power wire through the grommet in the fender. Ive got pics of that. Ill post them up tomorrow. Im going on being up for 18hrs straight.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In the last 3 days Ive been in the car for close to 30 hours on top of work and school.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heres the rest of the pictures I have so far. Im installing the subs and amp this morning before work.

Heres what the dash looks like now:

Heres all my awesome color combos (red, amber, green, green/amber, red/blue, and blue/green are the options):

Heres the GPS antenna above the rear view mirror (I ran the wires along the passenger side moldings through the headliner, my wife thought that was stock antenna):

Heres the rear hatch deadened under the spare tire well:

For my ground I used an existing bolt for the seat brackets. I took off one of the massive bolts. My terminals werent big enough to fit over them so I ran to NAPA and grabbed some all cobber 1/0 terminals and it fit perfectly.

Heres the terminals I used for referenced:

As for the wire into the engine bay. I popped off the kick panel by the hood latch. Took off the front tire and the fender liner. I then grabbed an LED flashlight and stuck it in the hole where the grommet fits. This allowed me to see the hole from the inside of the car. Took me 10 minutes to get the power wire through and wired up to the battery. Wire is 4 Gauge Stinger Custom Pro. From the foot well to the engine bay its wrapped in 1/2" split loom and zip tied. Its a perfect fit.

Heres the fuse holder. It sits there snug right under the battery cover and its easy access and almost invisible with the cover on.

More tonight.

Reactions: LYC79

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts

Looks good so far ! :rep: for the pics. Love the colors of the radio

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Looks good so far ! :rep: for the pics. Love the colors of the radio
Thank you. I love my Eclipse. I have time alignment, auto tuning, built in steering wheel controls, a module for everything (I have the GPS and iPod ones), its 3 way active, 3 sets of 5v preouts. Its amazing and I only paid $130 for it.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts