Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I got the rattle to stop.

At first I thought it was the heat shield - removed that because the supports had rusted away.

I read it could be due to things inside the muffler coming loose (WTF, Dodge‽).

I wondered what would happen if I squeezed the muffler... so I used a floor jack to lift it against the car and let the weight of the Caliber squash it.

This seems to have worked. I’ll update this if anything changes.

I would like to change this out for a Magnaflow-something, but rent and cat food first.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think I got the rattle to stop.

At first I thought it was the heat shield - removed that because the supports had rusted away.

I read it could be due to things inside the muffler coming loose (WTF, Dodge‽).

I wondered what would happen if I squeezed the muffler... so I used a floor jack to lift it against the car and let the weight of the Caliber squash it.

View attachment 17023

This seems to have worked. I’ll update this if anything changes.

I would like to change this out for a Magnaflow-something, but rent and cat food first.
Handle the rent first and take care of the cat I also have a cat that act like a dog he like to roll over on his back have you tickle his stomach.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Rattling in muffler can often be caused by cracked catalytic converter insert pieces. Unscrew exhaust and do visual inspection of catalytic converter internals.

BTW: The stock muffler and resonator were the first things i threw into garbage after buying the car. Went with Magnaflow cat-back and 7 years later it is still flawless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts