·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flap install
Rate 4 out of 10
Install Time maybe 1 ½ hours
Cost $15.00 per pair

I wanted flaps, Dodge/Mopar doesn’t have them yet for the fronts, (R/T version anyway), so I opted for a universal fit available at our Local Canadian Tire, I assume at Pep Boys State size.

They come in 3 sizes, I found #1 fit the front, #3 for the rear.

A spare set of eyes help, position the flap on the car while having someone eyeball it for you from a distance, I marked the outline with masking tape

I find it much easier to jack up the car and remove the wheels, please use jack stands, and never work on a car with the jack alone.
Hold the flap according to the position you have established in step one, give it a slight tap with a hammer on the back side, this will in turn mark the position of the existing screws on the inside fender. One my R/T, there was one screw for the rear, Two for the front

drill a hole that you just achieved, remove the existing screw (7mm socket) and install the mud flap
The mudflaps come with screws, so add an extra one to the top and bottom as needed
Here’s a pic of the front, with the extra screw on the top edge

Continue your install around the car and things should come out fine
Final result
Rear

Front

I’ll follow with an overall pic once the car is clean and it stops raining

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks for the info, many people will find it quite useful. Good photos and detailed step-bystep.

Steve

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
Nice work xcanuk.:worshippy: Yes please wash your Caliber!:eek: .....it's a sin to see it that way..LOL:D Actually would just make a nicer pic to see those mudflaps.:)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes please wash your Caliber!:eek: .....it's a sin to see it that way..LOL:D
EX - One of the reasons that I bought a Red Caliber is that the Black ones all come with a free lifetime supply of self-applying dirt.

Steve

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
EX - One of the reasons that I bought a Red Caliber is that the Black ones all come with a free lifetime supply of self-applying dirt.

Steve
Black is certainly hard to keep clean, but when it shines baby!....it shines!:4-sunshine:

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
WOW. I think even I could try to do it with those directions! But don't worry, I love my car too much for that. Excellent information. Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't know flaps were such a black issue.... that's it..no more installs for you..
get in line.. next

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the mud flaps from dodge dealer over here in schuamburg, Il for $26 and they are custom fit, plus only had to make to drill holes in the body, very very easy install and look nice, will get pics up soon, need to wash the car first for picture taking
Rear mudflaps are available from mopar here as well, fronts were the problem and the main reason I went towards aftermarket (so front and back look alike) I also don't like thd scoop bucket design of mopar.

·
Dodge Caliber Forums
1,295 Posts
Nice work xcanuk.:worshippy: Yes please wash your Caliber!:eek: .....it's a sin to see it that way..LOL:D Actually would just make a nicer pic to see those mudflaps.:)

that is too funny.....the first thing I noticed when I looked at the pics was how dirty the poor little guy was. Mental note to myself: never post pics of my car dirty because everyone comments on it.....Great job on the flaps though..they look great

·
Banned
511 Posts
You know whats real funny, the opposite is true on Jeep Forums.
there, you really get razzed if you ever post a picture with a clean Jeep

Its gotta be dirty, muddy and/or at least one tire in the air,
...and shiny tires are a sin :str:

as the saying goes... chrome don't get ya home. ;)

Though my TJ rims are chrome with sufficient rust and mud stains. :Racing:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dirt is never an issue (offroader born and bred)
I figured I'd update.
Initial install was last April, so they haven't been through snow yet. They have held up well, no cracks nor tears, I have noticed that the car stays cleaner after rain storms or driving on wet streets (if that's possible on a black car)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just a quick tip to add:
When you jack the car and remove the tire, to have access to the wheel well arch,
have a small rectangular box handy, whose vertical height is the same as where you
want the BOTTOM of the mud flap to be when the car is on the ground. Now lower
the jack so that the mudflap is resting on that box when you hold it in the proper
vertical position.
This step will now insure that your mudflap is now going to be perpendicular at the
edge, and parallel to the ground, and match at all locations, without any cocking
after the screws are installed!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good tip

Just a quick tip to add:
When you jack the car and remove the tire, to have access to the wheel well arch,
have a small rectangular box handy, whose vertical height is the same as where you
want the BOTTOM of the mud flap to be when the car is on the ground. Now lower
the jack so that the mudflap is resting on that box when you hold it in the proper
vertical position.
This step will now insure that your mudflap is now going to be perpendicular at the
edge, and parallel to the ground, and match at all locations, without any cocking
after the screws are installed!
I will be performing this install this spring as I have gotten the same flaps as a christmas gift.
Sounds like a good extra little step to keep the install consistant all around the vehicle.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I installed my 2 days ago and they work great, helps keep the back window clearer, and it looks like it helps the other drivers behind me see better. IMO it also makes driving safer.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The mud flaps are one of the best and easiet mods to do. You don't need to jack up the car though..... I did mine without lifting the car off the ground. The only annoying thing about the mud flaps is the hole on the inside and when it snows and you drive there is a build up of snow after.

Other than saving a bit on the mudflaps why not go with the Dodge ones that are custom fit for our cars?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Other than saving a bit on the mudflaps why not go with the Dodge ones that are custom fit for our cars?
I still don't think there are "Mopar" Caliber front flaps, and I believe the mopar are rigid flaps, which tend to snap off what charging through snow banks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts