Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I noticed moisture in my tail lights. I searched the forums and found the following TSB.

SB 23-041-06 Exterior Lamp -Lens Fogging

Would this be applicable? I have to take another look to see if it has gone away since it has warmed up again recently, but the cause of it all seems to be a common factor.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So should I only be concerned if the moisture remains after a few days? I would imagine it should evaporate shortly after the weather warms up.

On a side note, i was driving behind a car the other day that had its back tail light with a good 2 inches of water inside.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
yeah you see that alot with cheaper after market ones. The problem with leaving it like this is eventually crud builds up inside of the lens causing it to look like well... crud hahahaha if you are getting only a small amount of moisture and it does go away right away then you could leave it, but I would have it fixed, i live in a place where it rains 80% of the time and my lights never have water in them, just take it to the dealer and tell them whats going on, thats the great thing about warranty right?! anything goes wrong someone else pays to fix it :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll keep an eye on it. I have another 2,000 km or so to go before my next maintenance is scheduled.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
My left tail light did this. I took the tail light housing off the car. I moved the rubber gaskets around for the bulbs and haven't had any more trouble with water condensation in the lens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My left tailight assembly had about an inch of water in it as well as being "fogged" up.
The dealer replaced the tail; light assembly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My left tailight assembly had about an inch of water in it as well as being "fogged" up.
The dealer replaced the tail light assembly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep...Same here I got my left tail light replaced with 8000kms left in my bumper to bumper warranty... plus asked for a MVI to check things out even though my MVI was only 4 months old.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So after a good two months passing, it is finally fixed.

I took the car in for regular maintenance, the dealer ordered the light. However I noticed alignment was also off. When I went in to get the light replaced I also asked them to do the alignment, they did not have anybody available to do so as it was a Saturday, so I opted to just leave without having the light replaced.

Finally I was able to get the car in on a Saturday for alignment and for the light to replaced as we were heading to PEI for vacation. When paying and getting my keys I was told the alignment was done, but the light was not replaced because the unit they had previously ordered had a manufacturers defect as it was slightly warped. They ordered a new light and would call me within the week when it came in. But as a result they removed the light, drilled holes in the light to allow the water to drain and reinstalled. When the light came in, it was too late in the week for me to get it replaced as my wife and I were getting ready to leave for PEI the following day.

Once returned from PEI I took the car in for maintenance and the light to replaced.

Only took two months, but it is done!

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I got tired of removing my left tail light once ever six weeks ago and draining the water out of it. I bought one off ebay and it just came in yesterday. I installed it and now it's supposed to rain today, so I guess I'll find out if it leaks now. If so, I'm really going to be pissed. I'm going to buy a tube of silicone and run a bead around the old one and see if it leaks in a few weeks. I may have one up for sale next month as I now have two, but if I can stop the moisture, I'll just keep one as a backup. Frigging Chrysler knows this is a common problem, but won't help you out past 36,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
12,293 Posts
Getting a new tail-light lens is a temporary fix - especially if free under warranty.
The cause is a complete failure of the seal between the black housing and the red reflector.

My 'condensation' became half a mug full of water, no venting or desicant will make a difference.

I used bathroom sealant along all the joins.

Helped, but it is not a complete solution.

I have now greased the bulb socket washers with lubricant to see if that is a source.

I have not found any yellow tape , small vent holes, or plugs.

One remaining possibility is the side panel on the rear body. Could there be another seam inside that recess?
I tried every suggestion of ForumZ :

reversing the gaskets, applying silicon grease, sealing the seams

It's almost like the wiring loom conducts blinker fluid. I was emptying half a cup.
There is no seal between the cluster and the body unlike other cars.

SO I got the drill out and made drain holes either side at the base. That fixed the Red areas but not the clear center, so I made two more in the bottom of the center.
That still did not clear the condensation from the center as there was no where for the steam to go so I added a fifth hole in the top for venting.

I do still get 'atmospheric' condensation as you would expect from all the holes but now the direction blinker is visible to others and the remaining fogging clears itself which it never did before.

·
Registered
40 Posts
the best thing to use to seal lights that get moisture in them is flowable windsheild sealant, it's about 3 bucks at the parts store. it creeps into all the crevices and makes a water/air tight seal.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I've got one for sale if anyone needs it. Thirty bucks plus shipping to your zip in the lower 48 only. I sealed it with silicone and it never had another drop of water in it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Last winter our black Caliber had moisture in it's tail light. It was replaced under warranty.
Last Tuesday Aleks came to my town and while talking he discovered moisture in my blue Caliber's tail light. It will be replaced under warranty, too, so I'm not concerned. Yet it's incredible how many Calibers are still suffering from this problem.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Last winter our black Caliber had moisture in it's tail light. It was replaced under warranty.
Last Tuesday Aleks came to my town and while talking he discovered moisture in my blue Caliber's tail light. It will be replaced under warranty, too, so I'm not concerned. Yet it's incredible how many Calibers are still suffering from this problem.
wow 2 for 2!

i replaced mine about 2 years ago when it fogged up.

My left tail light is also foging
I cannot seem to find where the opening is
you probably won't. Best bet is to take it off. Let it dry out, and then run some silicone around the seam and see if that helps any.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts