Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello kind people! I'm brand new to the forums, so I hope I've posted in the correct place. I am not a car person, so I hope what I'm posting makes just a little bit of sense.

We own a 2011 Dodge Caliber. We bought it used almost two years ago. In March, I accidentally left the keys on "accessory" after rolling down the window. Two months ago we started having a "dead battery" at random times, even if we had just driven it. The check engine light came on so I ran the codes. I apologize, but I can't remember what it was exactly. Something about possibly loose battery cables. It went away like the next day.

Fast forward to last week. The car just died while driving it. The check engine light came on with an error code for the crankshaft position sensor A. We took it in to Goodyear and they replaced it. It died leaving the parking lot. Pull back in and the guy thinks it may be the transmission but the guy for it is gone. Calls in a favor with a local independent mechanic. This guy was FAR more knowledgeable and said it absolutely was not the alternator (after checking it), so he took his Snap On code checker out there.

Here is where it gets complicated as I don't fully understand it all and Dodge is treating me like I'm an idiot. He found hidden codes that are associated with service bulletins about abnormal procedure. The way he explained it is that when my old battery died back in March, some part of the software was erased or something along those lines. With that software missing, random systems in the engine/car are just shutting down causing it to die. He reinstalled the original software hoping it would hold it over until I could get into dodge for the updated software (appointment is the 26th).

I drove to get a new battery to hopefully keep the current software installed, but it would continually try to die while accelerating around the 20 mph mark. It died on the way home and my check engine light came on again......with a Crankshaft Position Sensor A code. Sigh.....

Does any of this make even the slightest bit of sense to anyone?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

A weak/faulty battery can cause all sorts of weird problems with Dodges of this vintage. My suggestion would be to simply replace the battery (and clean the battery terminals) and see what happens. You may find that it resolves all of your weird issues.

As for that crankshaft position sensor it's entirely possible that you need one, and entirely possible that the new one Goodyear installed is bad. When it comes to electrical components in cars you always want to go with an OEM part if possible...aftermarket electrical components were sketchy before the pandemic and have gotten exponentially worse since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

A weak/faulty battery can cause all sorts of weird problems with Dodges of this vintage. My suggestion would be to simply replace the battery (and clean the battery terminals) and see what happens. You may find that it resolves all of your weird issues.

As for that crankshaft position sensor it's entirely possible that you need one, and entirely possible that the new one Goodyear installed is bad. When it comes to electrical components in cars you always want to go with an OEM part if possible...aftermarket electrical components were sketchy before the pandemic and have gotten exponentially worse since.
I replaced the battery replaced that day on the way home. The problems continued, sadly. I'm 90% positive the crankshaft they replaced it with was OEM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts