Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys
Well having problems with clutch pedal dropping to the floor so bled lines through to bleeding nipple above gear box and no joy with that then I removed the master clutch actuator and checked that it seems fine but unsure so I need some help on this, is there a rubber seal inside this master cylinder actuator and if so at which end.

thanks
scott

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Can't answer the seal question, but I have one of my own for you. If I may ask, had you recently filled the brake/master cylinder (Also called an 'actuator') reservoir all the way up to the top, sometime before the failure?
These things take forever to bleed properly, and require a very slow, steady and methodical pump up. It ain't like bleeding brakes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
master cylinder actuator

Hi Mykturk
Thanks for the reply back Answer to your question no I only filled it just over the fill line on the reservoir, the problem started after I had being driving all day in the car, I have asked the garage about the seal and reply back was don't know we just throw them away and replace with new one(£75.00 plus labor cost at £94.00 ph).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI
Just replaced master cylinder actuator and bled all the system and brakes, Brakes are solid on the pedal but clutch is still dropping to the floor, I have done all the bleeding right through to the bleeding nipple on the slave actuator and flow is fine with air bubbles all out but getting no pressure to the pedal, just wondering is the slave cylinder gone and if so what is the best way to remove this.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Pump it up using a very slow, steady pace. It's not like bleeding the brakes. The clutch actuator takes a LOT of pumping. But it has to be slow and methodical. Take your time, it will pump up, just don't try to hurry, because it won't help. It took me a while to master the slow pumping action needed to pump up our clutch. Slow to floor, slow release, repeat about 100-150 times. You'll slowly feel the pedal return to normal.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
And have a leg muscle like Arnold Schwarzenegger? LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys
Thanks for the info on doing this, This is what I did to solve the problem with the slave cylinder, Pressured the line from master cylinder till bubbles were clear then used a clean oil can with clear plastic line to bleed nipple (belhousing) and filled the line up with fluid cracked open the bleed nipple and back blowed the fluid down the slave actuator to the consentric slave cylinder pushing the air out/or around to get the pressure up on the clutch pedal, Did it twice to make sure air was out and had full clutch pedal movement and all gear working, Took it for a test drive and all is well at the present time, Big journey tomoz by doing around 80 miles so hope all goes well I will update when done :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Mykturk
Thanks for the reply back Answer to your question no I only filled it just over the fill line on the reservoir, the problem started after I had being driving all day in the car, I have asked the garage about the seal and reply back was don't know we just throw them away and replace with new one(£75.00 plus labor cost at £94.00 ph).
Hi all only joined today very happy with my caliber , i read your blog with interest but I need a clutch master cylinder and no joy getting one car drivable but not 100% if any one knows where I can get one I wouldbe grateful cheers enosbig

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Hi all only joined today very happy with my caliber , i read your blog with interest but I need a clutch master cylinder and no joy getting one car drivable but not 100% if any one knows where I can get one I wouldbe grateful cheers enosbig
The clutch master is integrated into the brake master. You have to buy the whole thing. You are likely trying to order just the clutch and is why you're having no luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks Brad

The clutch master is integrated into the brake master. You have to buy the whole thing. You are likely trying to order just the clutch and is why you're having no luck.
Thank you for the information Brad , I have put in a full clutch and concentric cylinder and following the pipe back I come to a plastic cylinder I assume that is the master cylinder as it connects to the pedal , I have seen a few for sale but they dont say if for a deisel and I dont know if they are all the same , thanks again enosbig

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Thank you for the information Brad , I have put in a full clutch and concentric cylinder and following the pipe back I come to a plastic cylinder I assume that is the master cylinder as it connects to the pedal , I have seen a few for sale but they dont say if for a deisel and I dont know if they are all the same , thanks again enosbig
They should be the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Bossman,

I have just read this post

I have to change the clutch pedal and so detach the actuator pushrod side from the back of the pedal (but don't have to remove it).

How did you manage to disassemble this piece ?

I think you must turn the actuator clockwise (from car interior) but it doesn't seem to move.

Many thanks in advance

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Hi Bossman,

I have just read this post

I have to change the clutch pedal and so detach the actuator pushrod side from the back of the pedal (but don't have to remove it).

How did you manage to disassemble this piece ?

I think you must turn the actuator clockwise (from car interior) but it doesn't seem to move.

Many thanks in advance
Download a free copy of the service manual in our "Manuals" sub-forum.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Thanks

I have already downloaded it and searched but without success.

I didn't found the detail of this operation.
The closest info on what you want to do in on section 6, page 16.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Guys
Ratcar if you are just changing the clutch pedal all you need to do is pop the ball cup away from the clutch assembly there should be no need to turn the master cylinder any problems ping me and I will try to guide you through it.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys
Ratcar if you are just changing the clutch pedal all you need to do is pop the ball cup away from the clutch assembly there should be no need to turn the master cylinder any problems ping me and I will try to guide you through it.
Thanks
I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber it has a plastic piece on top of the trans that the clutch fluid line hooks to I believe called the actuator it has the bleeder on top of it and the previous owner broke the top “bleeder valve off so I need to remove this I took the line loose and now need to pull the actuator out of the top of trans

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber it has a plastic piece on top of the trans that the clutch fluid line hooks to I believe called the actuator it has the bleeder on top of it and the previous owner broke the top “bleeder valve off so I need to remove this I took the line loose and now need to pull the actuator out of the top of trans
Does it just pull out with the rubber o’rings bieng what secures it or do I need to take trans axle out to remove actuator

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys
Thanks
I’m trying to remove the actuator on a 2008 caliber I need to know if the actuator has a clip inside holding it secure to the master slave cylinder inside the trans or if I can just pull it out

1 - 19 of 19 Posts