Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a manual Dodge Avenger and am trying to replace the gear knob, i am unable to find anything online so thought id ask you guys as may be the same/similar to a Dodge Caliber.

Any help would be appreciated
Many Thanks
Martyn

·
Super Moderator
12,467 Posts
What is your question?
How to yank it off, or finding alternatives?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your question?
How to yank it off, or finding alternatives?

I'm trying to remove the factory fitted knob, I have tried to pull straight up with no luck, doesn't unscrew and have taken the gaiter/boot off as far as it goes to try and find a clip/pin but no luck so far.

Do you have any other ideas??

Please see image attached of gear knob.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,467 Posts
There is no thread or pin. It is glued or heat bonded. I loosened mine with a boa grip but it is very tight.
Others just cut theirs off as junking it anyway.

My replacement was also very tight and I needed to hammer it home.

·
Registered
676 Posts
It isn't glued. It's just a hard plastic fit on the shifter rod. It pulls straight up.

Get some bigger muscles. I haven't seen any replacements other than the factory one. Only other option would be to pull it off and thread the rod with a die for a standard threaded shift ball.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The shift knob is press-fit onto the knurled stalk, so pulling it off is going to be super difficult. I'd also worry about doing some damage to the shift mechanism if you try.

Having said that, I removed mine several years ago by removing the silver top cap and drilling holes in the plastic all the way around the stalk. That allowed me to get the bulk of the knob off, then I simply cut away the portion still attached to the stalk with a Dremel tool. I replaced it with a shift knob that came with a variety of inserts to match the stalk diameter and attaches via set screws...no need to try and thread the stalk. A little blue Loc-Tite on the set screws and she's held quite nicely over the years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all

I have a manual Dodge Avenger and am trying to replace the gear knob, i am unable to find anything online so thought id ask you guys as may be the same/similar to a Dodge Caliber.

Any help would be appreciated
Many Thanks
Martyn
Had the same problem on my 2007 Dodge Caliber. The shaft is not threaded but has a recessed "knurl" a few inches down it. The plastic tabs will grab this knurl once it is pushed down. I had to break off the 4 tabs with a screwdriver, then the old one came off easily. The new unit pressed on (with a bit of effort) but be sure to align the knob and boot before pressing down. I hope these pictures help as I could not locate much info on the internet.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts