Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Last winter I got myself some LED smoked tail lights. Love 'em. For a silver car, I like the look better than big blocky red tail lights.

Problem is, the LED flashers (turn signals) dont draw enough power and the TIPM signals a burnt bulb, clearing the EVIC with message to that effect and accelerating the blinker as a reminder.

While annoying, I lived with it for a while because I just couldn't be bothered with something minor like that. Anyhow, I recently did and now I fixed it. Ahh... much nicer.

Begin by removing the lock pins:

This is the load resistor I used is a 6 Ohm 50 Watt load resistor from SuperbrightLEDs.com. Also in this photo, LED white backup light (center) and stock incandescent light (right):

From the main bulb harness, the BLACK wire is ground, and the OPPOSITE wire is turn signal. Strip wires on a 1cm portion:

and soldier the load resistor on the ground and turn signal wire (right tail pictured):

There is no fore or aft member of the load resistor. Just solder it in parallel.

I used the occasion to put in LED backup light in lieu of the stock bulb:

LED bulb number replaced stock bulb type 921.

Tape everything shut, secure the load resistor on the back of the tail light unit using 3M foam trim tape and reassemble your lights.

for testing this I made sure to use a volt meter to dig out the proper wire and as a precaution, did a small dry test run of the turn signals.

Video herein.

Quick and easy.

Reactions: Flyinghigh

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
i have a question that somewhat pertains to this subject.
on mousers aftermarket tails, it has the empty bulb hole. could you spice the reverse light and have 2 for each tail??

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Reps for the pictures and write up, mouser.

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
on mousers aftermarket tails, it has the empty bulb hole. could you spice the reverse light and have 2 for each tail??
Or run a separate wire and use RED LEDS for fog lights.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's my plan. I have extra bulbs but haven't got time to find sockets.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Well continue the Build, I'll do it when you make your write up on it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
LED's / HID

Hi, new to the site/CSRT4 and any help would be appreciated. Trust me, ive been digging in the site for the correct info for several days now.

I have the same LED tail lights, am I gonna have the same flash issue?

Also, I have some in-expensive HID's from ebay... Will I have an issuse from them also and IF SO, will the wiring harness/relay they sell to go with the HID'S correct this probem?

Thanks

Michael

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Yes, and yes.........................

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use the same load resistor and the same wire scheme on the right, the left light had different color wires.... I still have HYPER FLASH.. HELP

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I use the same load resistor and the same wire scheme on the right, the left light had different color wires.... I still have HYPER FLASH.. HELP
Then you didn't hook it up correctly.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
What could I have possibley done wrong? The panel inside still indicate I have a bulb out and it flashes to fast....
Without pictures, I have no idea.:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Led

Well, I started with the passenger side looked JUST LIKE MOSER write up. I follow what he said to the letter.....

Then when I went to the driver side, it had the GREEN/Black wire like the passenger side, but IT DID NOT have the yellow/white wire like the passenter side...

So I connected it to the Green/black like the passenter and the other end to the Purple/white wire....

They both light up, every thing works it's just that when I turn the blinker on, it flashes to fast. I can get pics but it might be easier if you gave me your email address to send them to.

Also, I did not strip the wire and solder like moser, I used what I call a wire tap connecter... Where you snap it together but it does not cut the wire.. Do you think this may be blocking some of the current? Do I need to dis-connect/Reconnet the battery to RESET the system once the connections are made?

Michael

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Forget wire colors! They can change from year to year, trim to trim, etc. The most important thing to understand is the circuit (I keep telling this to my guys at work). With that understanding, you can make it work properly with no concern for wire colors.

The resistor must be wired in parallel with the led for the turn signal (not the tail lamp), then it will work.
This is very simple theory – the LED does not draw enough current to allow the flasher circuitry to work properly. Putting the resistor in allows sufficient current to flow in the circuit to allow the flasher electronics to work properly.

Look at how you have the other side wired, and put the resistor across the same socket terminals as the one that works. This looks to be the outer two wires on the tail/turn socket. But use a meter to double check first!

The most critical things to any electrical mod are to understand how the circuit works, how your mod should tap in, and how your mod will affect normal operation. It is best to have a good understanding of how things work and how you are going to add your mod in before you even start "cuttin' and hackin' ". Things usually go a lot smoother that way.

Usually properly installed crimp connectors and taps are just as good as soldered joints. We use them all the time in harsh industrial environments with no problems at all - even over the long term. Just buy UL listed ones and they will work fine. The really cheap ones could be a problem.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I'm with Dave on this. Look at what you did on the right side based on where the wires go on the lamp socket and ignore the wire colors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
LED Tail Lights

Hi Everyone
I live in the UK and have a european spec right hand drive Caliber SXT CRD. I bought a set of after market LED tail lights to fit. BIG PROBLEM !! The lower section of LED's illuminate with the upper set and all as tail lights. On my UK spec caliber the lower section needs to be illuminated as a FOG LIGHT ( the same brightness as the top leds light up when you put your foot on the brake pedal. Anybody know how i can make the leds in the lower section light up the same brightness as the brake lights. It is a legal requirement in the UK to have rear facing red fog lights and i would like to modify the lights rather than cut the bumper (fender) and fit after market fog lights. The wiring for the fog lights is already there and at present uses standard lamps in the stock tail lights. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts