Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Please watch my you tube videos. Ive no idea if im explaining what is going correctly. While driving my car starts lounging as if wanting to stall out my rpms are stuck and dont change. The speedo jumps erratically without a change in speed. My abs and emergency brake light flash and the warning chime continues to repeat.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Try a reset of your TIPM. If you haven't read about how to do it yet, just do a search. I'm not going to explain it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try a reset of your TIPM. If you haven't read about how to do it yet, just do a search. I'm not going to explain it.
Thank you for your brilliant recommendation. But yea I tried resetting both my tipm and pcm. Im not a morron just not a mechanic either.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive been at this issue all together going on a FEW months. The cluster freak out is new. However I guess I should provide more detail about trouble shooting tips ive tried and why. So I bought my car in Apr. Of 2009 its a 2008 dodge caliber SXT 2.0 w/ optional CVT trans. Standard (base) cluster no EVIC. sentry key immobilizer (SKIM) is a yes. I came back home from college 2010 (just under a yr. After new car) needed a new battery no big deal. Not 6mths later a new starter/alternator at the same time. Next yr another battery. And that winter another battery. Next winter after so now im at 2014 battery #4 need a new alternator AGAIN. so I start investigating I check grounds. Remove ground sand away paint tighten connections look for loose wires. Notice that a wire from my starter is extremely loose. Disconnect an clean beng brackets to allow better hold. My MIL is constantly going on and off because P0420 catalyst bank1 above threshold is active twice so im assuming more of an O2 sensor. About 4 mths ago. Im driving and am less than 5mins from house when turning onto street i notice a pop noice and smell transmission fluid i hope its just a coincidence (lol yea right) i notice my temp gauge creeping slowly past half way. I get home park it pop hood notice power steering fluid all over my engine withh a drained as in empty resevior didnt hit anything that could "puncture" that since its on top. After examination its determined pressure somehow built up and blew fluid out of the cap. (No i hadnt added any lately and yes cap was secured) it hasnt done it since. my anti theft light illuminates and flashes during my entire engine/driving cycle. Started just before power steering fluid explosion. Cant figure out why changed battery in my key. Rest both Tipm and PCM as of lately checked for any possible bad grounds again or loose wires connectors anything. Ive yet to come across a wire.but I will check again definately. Especially since the Instrument cluster freak out is the latest malfunction my car has decided to show off. But it hasnt done it again since. But when I manually check instrument cluster for gauge test the only 2lights which fail to come on are Anti theft and airbag. After I start the car the anti theft and airbag pass the clusters self test mode and anti theft flases constantly. Its only when I manually perform gauge test that they fail?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As for the sticky note heres my reply
Also I mention another trouble shooting theory I tried which didnt accomplish much for me but please read both. And I appreciate the advice

Thanks,
B
"" style="border: 0px; vertical-align: bottom;">

Im currently having SIMILAR issues however only my Abs and brake light light flash. My speedometer does jump but if you look at my rpms they never leave 2 neaning my cvt transmission wasnt "shifting" gear "ratios" or whatever its called. I took a test light and poked around the TIPM. Reset both TIPM and PCM. Did a instrument cluster self test and noticed my Airbag light and Anti Theft Light did not illuminate like the others? They Illuminate when cluster does its self test upon first starting but however when I maniuallu do it (by holding in trip reset and turning key to start without cranking) they fail to light? I Also Removed Fuses #11, 16, &14 turned my key to on then attempted crank and it STARTED RIGHT UP?!?!? (According to a different dodge forum, it should not have done this) I've even removed grounds sanded paint off them and re tightened them. I havent noticed any frayed wires ill double check but our issue is similar not exact. This is helpfull and I will definately try rechecking wiring harness.

Edit Post***Reply***Reply With Quote********

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Main harness that runs thru drive front fender and under battery tray is damaged.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Main harness that runs thru drive front fender and under battery tray is damaged.
I can not view the photos which were attached to the sticky so if I understood reading correctly than. Ill remove my front end and insulate wires? I also saw a recall about bad software which has to do with my anti theft system not working. Will repairing harness fix my anti theft system or are the two unrelated? And should I still change my front o2 sensor for the P0420 code?

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
I can not view the photos which were attached to the sticky so if I understood reading correctly than. Ill remove my front end and insulate wires? I also saw a recall about bad software which has to do with my anti theft system not working. Will repairing harness fix my anti theft system or are the two unrelated? And should I still change my front o2 sensor for the P0420 code?
O2 sensor must be replaced in pairs. But that isn't your issue. 99% of the time that that codes comes up is due to a cracked Maniverter. Do a sure for the thread covering that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hum.... I havent heard of that and honestly dont know what that is..... thank you and ill check to see if there are any existing threads on the issue.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Hum.... I havent heard of that and honestly dont know what that is..... thank you and ill check to see if there are any existing threads on the issue.
Maniverter is a combination exhaust manifold and cat converter in one.

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
I'm on Battery 4 with the reason being failed wiring and your additional varied symptoms suggest failures - insulation, connectors, comms.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes. I've been almost certain it would be a bad ground but didnt know were to start to look. I followed the advice given here and from sticky note. And this is my findings as of today.........

I decide to remove driver side headlight assembly instead of front end since it seemed most of the wires could be accessed from there. I spent alot of time looking for a wire "to jump out at me" sadly it never did. So I proceeded to remove tape, unmounted radiator fan relays. And thats when my wire jumped out. I figured it would surely be one of the connectors right there. I was at a friends family garage. So I asked for some help looking at connectors. My friend pionted out white spots on a wire running out of the "medium" size connector. so with a test light we checked the grounds and sure enough a dark brown wire with orange stripe failed to light. So I proceeded to try and trace said wire but it ran into my dash. And being it was closing time didnt have the support to disassemble dash and find out exactly were it went. Im almost certain its either my tire pressure monitor system or my anti theft located in my instrument cluster. But will be there bright and early tomorrow morning to confirm. :) (happy to have made progress)

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Brad,
I read the ENTIRE THREAD and sorry I posted my reply in the wrong thread am still new to the site and trying to navigate. Yes my wire runs into the mess that goes up fender into dash or driver side floor right behind steering wheel. I loose it there because I dont want to disassemble my dash to manually trace the wire without knowing for sure I tested the wire for ground and hot using a test light neither responded. I was sure it would be a ground and that would b the wire. But I pulled ip wiring diagram in the service repair manual (2007 my cars the 2008) and without knowing were to start im lost. Also I saw in the introduction to wiring something about dead wire no hot or ground? So I do not want to tear my car apart in vain. Is there a better way to trace wire without disassembling and manually tracing. Or the diagrams? Thanks and sorry for my jumping threads ill try to navigate to each one specifically

Your problem won't be in the dash. It will be inside the fender. And you could have accessed the wiring behind the head light by removing the battery and the tray. This sticky thread has the best troubleshooting info for the harness: http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?40018-Caliber-No-Start-(wire-harness-issue)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The wire is burning from the inside out (very noticeable white spotting or burning on it) but infortunately no noticeable cut or fray

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
The wire is burning from the inside out (very noticeable white spotting or burning on it) but infortunately no noticeable cut or fray
You probably have corrosion eating up the wire. I suggest you remove some of the insulation to check it. As the corrosion eats the wire it develops resistance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Close... but no Cigar

:i_rolleyes: So..... Removed my fender and LOOKED found 3 exposed wires! Removed said wires from connector and used electrical tape to re insulate them. I know its not a permanent fix and they need to be heat shrieked but didn't have supplies right then so improvised. Made sure of a good connection. And thus far my "freak-out" has yet to re-occur however i'm still experiencing some not all. Of my re-occuring electrical issues. I'm currently debating on removing my passenger fender, or entire front end so i can get a good view of the wires running too the harness. I "wrecked" last year hit on the passenger side and took out side mirror. So I think checking that side would be beneficial. And YES I've already looked at it. But maybe I should try again. Look a little harder. I don't know. But if I cant find it, I really don't know, I can't see myself paying Dodge an unseen amount of my money for them to tell me something I already know. Then charge me $1,000 to replace my fuse box.

Attachments

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
There are no major wire harnesses in the passenger fender. Everything that would cause issue are on the driver side. You may also have corrosion on the connectors for the TIPM and PCM, se well as internal to the TIPM.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are no major wire harnesses in the passenger fender. Everything that would cause issue are on the driver side. You may also have corrosion on the connectors for the TIPM and PCM, se well as internal to the TIPM.
Question? All the Electrical wires migrate to that Harness. Since I damaged my passenger side couldn't ANY of the wires be damaged and cause interference or a bad ground connection. There everywhere on this car.
Also could you please described either how to check for corrosion or a thread which describes how to check and identify? Do you think those wires I found could have caused majority?
Thanks for your help in advance.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts