Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 2 years the dealership has been adjusting/lubricating a noise in the front of my wifes Caliber. This year it went off warranty as our 2007 Caliber is actually an 02/2006 car. Also our dealer is no longer a Dodge dealer,, so I when the squeaking/crunching in the front started again,, I took it to the garage that I take my old Sebring to.
My mechanic told me that the Lower Control Arm Bushings are blown and should have been replaced a LONG time ago.
What the? Argghhh!
He did say that he could just spray lubricate them, maybe try to take em aprt,, but that kind of fix would only last six months or less. He tried to order new Lower Control Arms and found that they are back-order. Apparently there is a quantifiable problem with the Caliber lower control arm bushings.
-Wouldn't you agree,,
1. A 3 year old car shouldn't need to get it's lower control arms replaced. Only 36,k miles too.
2. They should have been replaced when this first started 2 years ago.
And,, 3. Is this possibly a real issue with Calibers? that should have been recalled? Anybody heard of anything related?

We're looking at a huge repair cost for something that was being nursed by the dealer for years now.

Other than suspension problems and issues with the wireless throttle pedal,, the car has been excellent.

Harvey

·
Registered
719 Posts
Do you have your service reports from the dealer when you took it in indicating that you were hearing this noise in the front end?? If so it might be worth a shot getting ahold of the Chrysler field rep and explaining the problem to him and maybe he will listen to your side of it and warranty it out for you..Doesnt hurt to ask...worst he can say is no, but if you have a history showing the car was brought in for the same noise and all the dealer did was lubricate blown bushings you might get lucky. And YES they should not need to be replaced but i had mine done about a month ago and only had i think 25 or 26K miles on mine.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
This is a known problem on some Calibers and there is a TSB out for the 2008s for this problem, but the issue appears to have started in 2007 models.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called the 1-800 Chrysler warranty # yesterday afternoon and was very pleased to get a real person whom told me to take to a Dodge dealer nearby. I called that Dodge dealership and they said if they determine that it should have been fixed earlier,, then they will pay for it with the warranty.
The car has had an ongoing history of front end problems,, Lubricate this, lubricate for that squeek, replace a coil, replace a ti-rod end, tighten the stearing box,, alignment problems,,, etc. so I'm pretty sure that Chrysler will do the right thing.
We've scheduled the car for next Thursday.
She's pretty excited about getting this ongoing thing fixed right,, -finally. And so am I.

·
Registered
577 Posts
im getting a strange creecking noise from my front end when i pull out of my drive way but its only since i got my mopar springs installed. has anyone else had this? it seems ok when driving. is this just the springs? or are my bushings f**ked to?:shakehead: its a 08 with 36 kilometers on the clock. oh and i have been known to have all 4 wheels off the ground on some of the hilly irish roads here lol.:naughty:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my car in about a month ago and was told that both control arms needed to be replaced and both tie rods - it was going to be a minimum of a thousand dollars - the dealership I also bought my car from is no longer selling dodge. I think I am going to call a differant dealership and see what they say because everything I have seen tonight on this topic says it isn't just a 2008 issue like the RRT said. Any advice on how to get them to cover this since my warrenty is done - I have 56,000 miles on my car already.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I took my car in about a month ago and was told that both control arms needed to be replaced and both tie rods - it was going to be a minimum of a thousand dollars - the dealership I also bought my car from is no longer selling dodge. I think I am going to call a differant dealership and see what they say because everything I have seen tonight on this topic says it isn't just a 2008 issue like the RRT said. Any advice on how to get them to cover this since my warrenty is done - I have 56,000 miles on my car already.
Were you having the issue prior to the warranty issue? If so, and the dealer documented it, then you should be able to push for warranty coverage due to it being a preexisting condition.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well,, her Caliber goes in tommorow morning. I really hope that they fix it and charge it to the Warranty. This car has had ongoing problems with the front end (every year since we bought it, a coil and a tie-rod end replaced). And we only have 38k on the car now. If they don't fix it now and finally,, under warranty,, then,, crap,, I guess it will be my last Chrysler product.
But I think they will do the right thing. In which case,, the Dodge Journey sure is looking like our next vehicle (year or so from now). Very functioal,, good size,,...good looking.

Let's hope Chrysler fixes our Caliber.

-H

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You Chrysler! Yes they honored the warranty even though we're 7 months and 2,000 miles past the end of it. The front is squeek free now. They replaced both lower control arms completely.
Whew! Must have been an $800 repair. !! I hope this lasts for longer than 9 months or so. Seems like a full replacement is the RIGHT way to fix it. So I'm sure it's good for several more years.
-H

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Thank You Chrysler! Yes they honored the warranty even though we're 7 months and 2,000 miles past the end of it. The front is squeek free now. They replaced both lower control arms completely.
Whew! Must have been an $800 repair. !! I hope this lasts for longer than 9 months or so. Seems like a full replacement is the RIGHT way to fix it. So I'm sure it's good for several more years.
-H
I wonder if Chrysler has figured out why this is happening. Something must be causing this premature wear. I hope you're right that the new parts last longer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was in to the dealer yesterday (2009-09-21) for an lube and oil change on my 2007 Caliber. I mentioned a creaking in the left front end and they informed me that it is the Lower Control Arm bushings. They say they will have to replace the entire control arm as the bushings come as an assembly with the arm.
My car is 2007 with only 75,000 Km (46,000 miles) on it! WTF?!!!! There's no way this bushing should go in that small amount of mileage.
So, I called up Chrysler Canada. Plead my case indicating that this should not happen on such low miles PLUS they already had a TSB (RRT-08-070) on this for 2008 models, so that should tell them that this likely could have been an issue on 07 models, but they refused to do anything about this in terms of warranty action. Not even an offer of compromise. I am not happy. Also, their price quoted for the part alone is $324.50 and I can buy it off the net for $153.30. I am not happy at all.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Is your warranty over? I had the entire front end redone on my previous 07 R/T AWD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Caliber Lower Control Arm

Yes, my warranty was over by approx. 9,300 miles (15,000 Km).
However, I stand by my argument that a lower control arm bushing shouldn't have gone after approx. 75,000 Km in my opinion, and that Chrysler had some history of similar failures such that they created a TSB for this problem in the subsequent years (2008 and 2009). I asked the call-taker if someone could some additional research to see if my control arm failure could be the result of the same problem discovered in the subsequent year(s) TSB, and she said "no".
I also asked if this defect report could be escalated to someone else, and again she said "no".

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
The Rapid Response didn't cover ALL the cars. just a series of it. how they determine which VIN is affected, I'm not sure.

In my case, I think it got taken care of by the warrantee.

There's not fix set time after which a part is expected to breakdown (though statistically, one could argue they do the moment your warantee expires... :shakehead: ).

If you drive in Montreal, it's a miracle the bushing don't explode every six months.

Good luck on getting this resolved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Replaced both of mine.

At 27000 I had both my front ball joints replaced, 3 days before the warranty was up. Had to wait 2 1/2 weeks for them to be delevered to Scotland.
They were so bad I was advised to park the car.
How does Chrysler get away with letting these vehicles drive around without letting us know of these problems.
I only joined here after my ordeal and was checking to see how often this has happened to other owners.
What if my family had been killed or injured.....I dont have a warranty for them.

Althou I love my Caliber, I am considering getting rid of it as soon as it becomes financially viable.

Mike

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
At 27000 I had both my front ball joints replaced, 3 days before the warranty was up. Had to wait 2 1/2 weeks for them to be delevered to Scotland.
They were so bad I was advised to park the car.
How does Chrysler get away with letting these vehicles drive around without letting us know of these problems.
I only joined here after my ordeal and was checking to see how often this has happened to other owners.
What if my family had been killed or injured.....I dont have a warranty for them.

Althou I love my Caliber, I am considering getting rid of it as soon as it becomes financially viable.

Mike
That might be an overreaction.

No car is immune to certain defect. In the Caliber, this happens to be the worse of them.

Want horror stories? Mazda3 and Mazdaspeed3 have failing engine mounts causing the engine to fall down on the direction/suspension, causing complete lockup of the drivetrain and steering. For one driver on a MS3 board, this has resulted in loosing control of the car at 4-mph causing his car to plunge on the side ditch of the road.

As for Chrysler, for the cars they knew they had problems, they were automatically repaired on your next visit to your dealer. That's how they can track you down.

Eg, on my first SRT4 oil change, I had a recall on the sunroof's control pad. It seems on some car, it was not properly affixed on the ceiling and they reapplied adhesive to correct it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lower Control Arms 2007 Caliber

I have really loved my 07 Caliber which I purchased in 11/07. I drive a lot for work, mostly highway miles. Keep in mind, that I still have the original brake pads, and have only performed maintenance and had new tires. I was just informed that the rattling in the front end which has been happening for about the last 10,000 miles is the lower control arms and outer tie rod ends. The service manager agreed with me that they should not have gone out already (79,000 miles) and would back me up if I called the 800 number he gave me. Well, upon registering my complaint, they contacted him and he told Chrysler that it is normal wear and tear for our area. I see nothing normal about this! This speaks volumes about what the expected quality is, I guess. It appears that there is no place else to buy the lower control arms, so they even make a profit off of making inferior parts. Does anyone know if there is anywhere else to buy these, or to have new bushings pressed into them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
For the past 2 years the dealership has been adjusting/lubricating a noise in the front of my wifes Caliber. This year it went off warranty as our 2007 Caliber is actually an 02/2006 car. Also our dealer is no longer a Dodge dealer,, so I when the squeaking/crunching in the front started again,, I took it to the garage that I take my old Sebring to.
My mechanic told me that the Lower Control Arm Bushings are blown and should have been replaced a LONG time ago.
What the? Argghhh!
He did say that he could just spray lubricate them, maybe try to take em aprt,, but that kind of fix would only last six months or less. He tried to order new Lower Control Arms and found that they are back-order. Apparently there is a quantifiable problem with the Caliber lower control arm bushings.
-Wouldn't you agree,,
1. A 3 year old car shouldn't need to get it's lower control arms replaced. Only 36,k miles too.
2. They should have been replaced when this first started 2 years ago.
And,, 3. Is this possibly a real issue with Calibers? that should have been recalled? Anybody heard of anything related?

We're looking at a huge repair cost for something that was being nursed by the dealer for years now.

Other than suspension problems and issues with the wireless throttle pedal,, the car has been excellent.

Harvey
Yes,

I have exactly the same problem on both frt suspension arm bushings on my 3yr-old SXT Caliber at 28613 miles & it just failed it's MOT a week before the wty runs out!
My dealership hopes to replace on wty [I did report a problem some months ago when
it was in for service, but they said in was mis-alignment & would be done for MoT].
Now I see that these parts are "back-order", so guess this is going to take a lot more
time to sort out than at first appeared. My sympathies go to you & your wife, but
hope & pray my dealership will stand by their verbal agreement to sort this out.
I do thank you also for posting this, as it is obviously becoming a common problem &
the more people report it, the more chance we have of getting some action on it.
Best wishes,
Ray

·
Registered
372 Posts
Plead my case indicating that this should not happen on such low miles PLUS they already had a TSB (RRT-08-070) on this for 2008 models

If you quote a dealer with a TSB with this number, your vin number MUST be on a list that the dealer has in thier computer system. If your vin is NOT on the list, they can still repair it under your bumper to bumper warrenty, but they have to do a proper diagnosis first.

FYI RRT stands for "Rapid Repair Transmission" If your vin is on the list, there will be an alert to the service writer that there is an outstanding RRT on that car. Even if you are simply bringing it in for an oil change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Front suspension arm bushings on 07 sxt

Hi Fellow Sufferers,

You will all be relieved to know that my dealer replaced both wishbone assemblies
plus track-rod ends as per warranty, thankfully! I will keep watching this forum to see how often this topic comes up & how dealers respond. Only problem is that
you see all the other faults & wonder which are going to affect you & how soon!
Incidentally, on the way home I discovered that a screw had embedded itself in
one of the two new front tyres, so it's back to the dealers tomorrow again as it
had to be in their workshop or the MOT station that it happened, but that's
another thread, I suppose.

Appreciate all the comments & help,

Thanks,

Mac [UK]

1 - 20 of 43 Posts