Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Calibers are sensitive to low voltage issues which messes with the electronics, sensor readings, and starting.
The Owners Handbook advises -
VEHICLE STORAGE
If you will not be using your vehicle for more than 21 days you may want to take steps to preserve your battery.
You may:
• Disengage the mini fuse in the Power Distribution Center labeled IOD (Ignition Off-Draw).
• Or, disconnect the negative cable from the battery.

There are at least 7 fuse locations labelled IOD so I have been carrying a wrench to disconnect the cable. This has been unsatisfactory with popping the hood and inconvenience and wear especially at night. Also it still has not prevented the battery being eaten up every couple of years. So I also carry jump leads and a charger with extension reel.

Others have similarly been challenged and resorted to Battery Cut Off solutions.
A simple manual screw connector on the negative stud, pop-off style connectors, or a variety of battery kill switches either under the hood or extended into the cabin.

The Chinese have created a remote controlled switch and voltage sensor so I present my latest project for the week.

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This gives you an impression of the size of the total package.

What looks like a manual cut-off switch does not seem to do anything. It appears to be insulated and included merely as a 'simpler' way of fitting using just the included wrench.

I loosened the ground on the fender for some slack, and had to disconnect the negative connector cable to mount it underneath. It was very seized having never been detached, fluid and a large wrench released it.

Everything comes connected, just jellied and bolted. The green tab for ground and red for positive. The control box had a couple of zip tie loops and the air intake passed through. Some window insulation underneath was enough to make it comfortable for vibration and slippage.

The control box monitors parasitic battery drain and shuts it off to ensure reliable restarting. Two remote key rings were included - like a door lock. Locking activates the cut-off by shutting down the power, unlocking turns the power back on enabling your original remote to unlock the powered locks.

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One complication is that there are no English instructions. I used a character image reader to guess at the following:

12v remote cut-off Low voltage automatic power off, remote control power on,

When the voltage setting method is normally displayed, press the left key (as shown in the figure) to display "P02". Press the middle key in three seconds to display "P1".

Press the left key in three seconds to display "power-off voltage".

4. Press the middle or right key to adjust the power-off voltage.

5. After adjustment, wait for five seconds to recover the real-time voltage of the battery

(P0 should be f,

P1 should be power-off voltage, 11.8V is recommended,

P2 should be power-on voltage, 13.2v is recommended, and the recovery voltage should be at least 1V larger than the power-off voltage).

Note: after the initial power supply of the device, after 10 minutes in the on state, the digital display will be the correct battery voltage when the number is stable.

In other cases, the number does not represent the voltage. It has been adjusted by default. If you have any problems, please contact us for careful adjustment.

Installation instructions

1, Disconnect the negative pole of the battery.

2, the manual switch is fixed on the negative pole of the battery.

3. Fix the negative pole wire of the vehicle and the equipment wire.

4. Connect the positive pole of the equipment

(Note: in step 3, the negative pole wire 1 of the vehicle and the controlled line 2 of the equipment must be connected together. If it cannot be connected with the manual switch 3, it can not be connected. If there is any problem, please take a video and send it to us for solution.)

This article uses a variety of rules to explain that this product controls battery negative pole bus, after power off, it is equivalent to cutting off all the electrical equipment of the vehicle, the battery will not have any electricity consumption.

This product can realize power on and power off in two ways.

1, When the battery is powered on, the product also has the function of low-voltage automatic power-off protection (automatic power-off when the battery is insufficient to avoid further consumption of the battery).

After the automatic power-off, operate the remote power-off button (b) and then press the power-on button (a). At this time, the device can be powered on for 20 seconds, Within this time, the vehicle can be started to return to normal power on.

2. Turn the green knob by hand, and there is an insulating pad under it.

After removing and tightening, the water can be powered on for a long time( The remote control does not need to be removed for normal use, this function is applicable to power on without remote control)

warm tips: power on state and keep for more than 2 minutes, the display voltage is battery voltage, power off state or power on for 2 minutes, the display number is not used as voltage basis.

Installation note: the product can not be installed and used in the state of battery power loss. If the battery is power loss, please charge it first and then install the product. Otherwise, it may burn the product. The inlet of transparent control box shall not be installed upward, or it will be damaged by water.

Red label - Rhombic battery cathode

Yellow label - battery negative

Green label - Automobile polar line

Jingdonghang automobile anti-power loss protector

applicable voltage: DC 8-16v applicable current: 0-120A

working current of the whole machine: 0.25A

current after power failure: 0A working temperature range: - 40 ° C to 90 ° C

operate remote control power-off button after automatic power failure, and then press power on button. At this time, the equipment can be powered on for 20 seconds.

Manufacturer: Baoding Donghang Trading Co., Ltd

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far. Everything works as intended. If you double remote lock the Caliber it arms the alarm. If you then cut off the battery the alarm activates believing an attempted theft is in progress. Nothing if just one remote press. Also shows the Thatcham system has a power draw somewhere else - rechargeable battery ? impressive 15 year life there.

The next level is if the car has shut itself off. That then creates this situation -

When the battery is powered on, the product also has the function of low-voltage automatic power-off protection (automatic power-off when the battery is insufficient to avoid further consumption of the battery). After the automatic power-off, operate the remote power-off button (b) and then press the power-on button (a). At this time, the device can be powered on for 20 seconds, Within this time, the vehicle can be started to return to normal power on.

The instructions state that the manual shut off is functional - maybe if the remote system needs to be removed. Otherwise the Black Box connector relay is wired in parallel and overrides it,

The control box lid is removable. Inside are three buttons. The left one appears to display the power off voltage. The other two for adjusting it. I have not opened mine so I am using the defaults.

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If you are interested some more and want to search online for reviews, instructions, or suppliers the items description is

DC12V Car RV Wireless Remote Control Battery Disconnect Switch Cut/Shut Off with LED Digital Voltmeter Dual Remote Control Master Kill Switch Universal

Close up

·
Registered
32 Posts
Damn bro I need this. My Cali is idling weird and almost shutting off only running 600wrms subwoofer amp and a couple accessories. Does this have to do with the electronic fuel controls?

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't do much extra audio stuff myself but guys on here before have had auxiliary leisure battery set-ups.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts