Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Learning to love my Caliber has been an *interesting* process.

My 2007 R/T is beyond warranty, and I would love to avoid paying out the @** for repairs and TSB checks. I am very very short on cash (E-3 pay with a $249/month payment) but I want to make the car work as well as possible for as long as I can.

Most recent gripe is the fact that Im getting this front end creak that I keep reading about on here, but on top of that, is a vibration, at both low and high speeds. I was doing about 70 on my way back to base, on decent highway, and the vibration began to build to the point where i began to slow down, in preparation for the entire front end to give out.

This isnt, good, as I am fixing to take a trip home next weekend.

I have been told this might be an alignment issue, but would love to hear some feedback from people who have had this happen before.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The vibration could have many root causes. Could be alignment, tires out of balance. or one of the tires has "thrown" a belt. Take it into a Belle Tire if you have one near you and they will most likely do a front end inspection for next to nothing. The Belle Tire by me does those for free. the inspections that is..

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Seems there was a TSB for the wrong size bolts being installed in the front end somewhere. I forgot which component it was, but I'm sure Prop1 will put you right on it. He stays on top of all the TSB's on the Calibers.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Seems there was a TSB for the wrong size bolts being installed in the front end somewhere. I forgot which component it was, but I'm sure Prop1 will put you right on it. He stays on top of all the TSB's on the Calibers.
No TSB for the 2007s. There is an RRT for 2008. Another member found it to be the tires. Try moving the front tires to the rear to see if the noise moves to the rear also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update- Squealing sound during turns indicates wheel bearing problems.

Feel a noticeable "clicking" while driving under normal conditions, left front wheel, deffinately mechanical feeling/sounding.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
If you're getting a clicking noise, it could possibly be a defective half-shaft. You need to get it checked out ASAP. If that sucker comes loose while you're doing 70 mph, it could be very bad news.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
I'll go with Charlie on this. I think you have a bad half shaft. Most of the time it is the right side c.v. joint nearest the right wheel to go bad first. Most of the time. They usually sell rebuilt one's. Right side half shaft and left side half shaft. Each half shaft has two c.v. joints, one on each end of the half shaft.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yup Charlie nailed that one...a clicking sound while driving coming from the front end is caused by a faulty CV Joint the majority of the time..Get it checked out ASAP you down want that coming loose while you are running down the freeway..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts