Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to post my experience yesterday with my Key Fob not working in case someone else runs into this problem. Maybe someone can explain what happened.

I parked my car and locked the doors with the key fob. I was gone for about 5 minutes and then came back out and my car wouldn't unlock. I used the key to unlock the car, and knew it would set off the alarm, but was ready to just start the car up to silence the alarm. Well, the car wouldn't start either. It wasn't a battery or starter problem, so I did some googling and found that if the key fob had died the car wouldn't start either. That's kind of a lame deal. I hitched a ride to the store and got a new battery for my key and that didn't solve the problem either. After making some calls and trying to re-pair the key with the car, nothing worked. A local locksmith came by and checked the key and it was transmitting like it should, but he couldn't get it paired with the car either.

From what I read, if you disconnect the battery and then reconnect it, the alarm goes back to the state it was in when the battery was disconnected. Since the car was armed, it should have gone back to armed when the battery was reconnected. Well, after I let it sit for about 20 minutes, I reconnected the battery and everything went back to working.

I'm really not sure what happened, but it's all fixed now. If the car won't start if the key fob goes bad, that's not a good situation, though.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
The 20 minute battery disconnect reset the system. Anything less than 20 minutes would not allow for residual power to drain to a reset level. Usually when car electronics get in a weird state, a reset usually fixes it. Just like on a computer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts