Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
the fog is working with 21W...

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
LED Bulb information page

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/carbulb-notes.htm

has info on resistor loads

Which Color LEDs should I use?

For best results the LED color should be the same as the lens color or if bulb is behind a clear lens, use the appropriate color for turn and brake light functions. As an example: a red lens will filter out all but the red portion of the light so if the light is all red, none or very little light will be blocked by the lens. The light from a White LED contains very little light in the red portion of the visible spectrum so most of the light would be filtered out by a red lens.
Turn signal issues with LED bulbs

LED brake/tail lamps will not flash with thermal flasher units due to their extremely low current draw. Also, with stock flasher units, the turn signals may flash faster than normal (Hyper-Flash). These installations will require an electronic flasher unit, available in our car bulb shopping category (for some vehicles) or at your auto parts store. Try to find flashers designed to work with LED bulbs, they will say "LED compatible". Often HEAVY DUTY flashers will also work with LED bulbs.

We offer some LED Flashers in our Tail/Brake Turn Signal Bulb category but we do not know which one (if any) will fit your vehicle. You will have to compare the pin-out of your flasher with the pin-outs of the flashers we offer, to see if we have a match, BEFORE you order one. Sorry but we do not have a flasher application list or the expertise to tell you which of our flashers will fit your vehicle.

Another fix is the installation of Load Resistors which are wired across (in parallel with) the turn signal bulbs to simulate the load of a standard filament bulb. We also have these available in our car bulb shopping category.
Dash indicators reporting burnt out bulbs

LED bulbs may cause some newer vehicles to indicate a bulb is burnt out (because of their low power consumption). Some cars indicate this by increasing the flash rate of the turn signals, some turn on a bad bulb indicator. The only fix for this is to install Load Resistors across the bulbs that are being indicated as bad. Some vehicles will also disable the cruise control system if a brake light bulb is being indicated as bad, the installation of Load Resistors will also solve this problem.

Also this -

All of our Tail/Brake bulbs achieve dual intensity modes by turning all of the LEDs on dim or all of the LEDs on bright, all of the LEDs are always lit when either mode is active.

So the brightness of the LED depends on the load given to them ?

LED bulbs will dim with your dash light intensity control

That is a rheostat - variable resistance.

So anyone explain what the impact is of connecting the 7W or 21W circuit ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4m0zWXyYCc&feature=channel&list=UL

Brand Manufacturer JANYUAN

If the lower LEDs are the same as the top then I need to duplicate the current limiting reesistors for 21W opeartion from the fog swirtch ?

http://led.linear1.org/why-do-i-need-a-resistor-with-an-led/

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Brightness of LED's depend on the current flow through them.
The dual filament substitutes apparently have different level current regulators built into the bulbs and connected to the appropriate pins.
21W circuit energized = full current through the LED's (example 50 mA)
7W circuit energized = lower current through the LED's (example 20 mA)

You will probably need load resistors for each circuit (left side, right side of car).

7W circuit should have a 20 ohm 10 watt resistor for each side http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=i:aps,k:20 ohm resistor&page=1
Item #1 will work

21W circuit should have 6 ohm 25 watt resistor for each side (50w ones are sold on amazon, etc - they will work just fine) http://www.amazon.com/929RR-light-Resistor-Automotive-Light/dp/B000LJEJ3O

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
The boards look sealed - not sure I want to break a new light to explore.
The lower bank may be full power 5W units and the Top are the resistor controlled.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
The boards look sealed - not sure I want to break a new light to explore.
The lower bank may be full power 5W units and the Top are the resistor controlled.
No reason to open the bulb - the LED units are direct functional equivalents for the standard bulbs. The resistors I mentioned are external devices to give the TIPM a proper load.

Mouser did a "photo essay" of LED tail light installation somewhere here.

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
No reason to open the bulb - the LED units are direct functional equivalents for the standard bulbs. The resistors I mentioned are external devices to give the TIPM a proper load.

Mouser did a "photo essay" of LED tail light installation somewhere here.
Totally different issue. Mouser added a resistor load to the top LED brake light bank so that the TIPM recognised a load for the flasher.

My issue addresses running the bottom bank on a high power bright setting (from the fog switch).
The LEDs in the top bank have a dual setting.

Just possibly the lower bank is identical but resisted to low current draw for a dim tail operation at 6W.
If so I could by pass the resistor with a separate connection resisted to 21W.
However it might just be that for cheapness the lower bank of LEDs is not resisted just maxed at a 6W rating. Overpowering them would just blow them out.

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
Using US spec LED tail lights in EU :>>

As an interim until we figure out a way to dual use the lower LED bank my solution is to cut the loom on the drivers side.
Wire the fog circuit into the Reverse Light holder and replace the stock clear W16W 921 bulb with a RED LED replacement.

EU regulations require a Red Fog on the driver side, the passenger side then continues as a back up light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mdJQVYt8gU&feature=channel&list=UL

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
With your fuse box, but the 'disabler' is a resistor load isn't it?
Just locate it with your bulb holder.

·
Registered
49 Posts
here is that link for that hyper-flash disabler

http://www.360tuners.com/dodgeford-vehicleshyper-flashdisablerforledturn-signalblinkerlight.aspx

Already covered ;;

Now we know, so long ago.

That is an analogue relay for 20th Century cars.

All Calibers are digital Canbus computer controlled circuits.

All you need is a single load resistor as described in every thread.

Your relay:
Directly replaces your original factory flasher in the fuse box, simple Plug-and-Play installation
Eliminates the need for many load resistors

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bandita, did that relay work for you? I'm thinking about ordering 1 so I don't have to wire in led resistors for my front & rear turn signals...just looking for some feedback

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok I found the answer to my own question...that relay doesn't work on newer cars with Canbus systems
My 08 has a canbus. Don't all calibers? Or do you mean for brake light controls... I installed red led brake light and I am getting the light out warning. Also, the h13 9008 harness I was sent doesn't fit. I THINK THE CALIBER IS H13LL size because I would have to cut plastic tabs off the adapter harness to fit. Also, anyone know if 50w 8 ohm will work? I have a double 50w 6 ohm h13 for headlights (hi/low )and a single 50w 8 ohm for tail lights because that is what they sent for free.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts