Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i bought some turn signal LEDs

installed them and hoped it works... i don't understand why they only check a few bulbs via canbus...

1st. to explain why i hoped it'll work....
there are a few guy in our german forum that said they had to go to the dealer to get the headlights unlocked after one was broken and it didn't work after they changed the bulb...
and i hoped there is a difference in the canbus system of different MY's cuz i never had this problem after my bulb was broken...

so i changed the bulb and i had a message i never thought my car could do this:

that means: turn signal rear left broken

those are the LEDs i used: the small one is red and the bigger one orange:

orange LED left and orange bulb right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E091WZGp6Gg

same with tails turned on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfpoeNpU_oE

red led left and orange bulb right and later tails turned on:
but its looking much more red in reality than on the vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSZM8YXRUWc

i think the LEDs look so much better than the bulbs...
tested it on the front but those leds doesn't look that good on the front, cuz of the reflector.... :(

i tried this in the tail light... no problem...
the turn signals front and rear are the only bulbs checked by the canbus system, but why only these? why not all? :smiledown:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
They only check those lights to let the driver know when the signals fail.

I'm glad thats all that is checked IMO

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
They are all monitored by the TIPM, not the CanBus. The CanBus operates the relays involved when you operate a switch. It's the TIPM's job to monitor the circuit from the relay to the bulb. Do not confuse the two. They are not the same and do not have the same duty. Because the turn signals flash, there is a repeated surge of current. This will make the TIPM more sensitive to the LED's difference in resistance. You'll need to add the resistors just how mouser shows in his DIY.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah... i know i need to do that... but does anybody know what happens if i have the resistor installed and change to a bulb?

cuz i have to go every 2 years (next is this june) to our technical inspection, and those leds are not really allowed :(
duno if the guy looks closely to the bulbs if they're allowed or not, but just incase he does i have to change them... and after the technical check i'll change back to teh leds... but i don't wanna remove and install the resistors all the time... :(

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
yeah... i know i need to do that... but does anybody know what happens if i have the resistor installed and change to a bulb?

cuz i have to go every 2 years (next is this june) to our technical inspection, and those leds are not really allowed :(
duno if the guy looks closely to the bulbs if they're allowed or not, but just incase he does i have to change them... and after the technical check i'll change back to teh leds... but i don't wanna remove and install the resistors all the time... :(
Do the resistors in a way that allows them to be easily unplugged from the circuit.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats what i thought... but the connection should be water proof....

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
i bought some turn signal LEDs
Where, price, how ? Show us your FOGs !

Really can the lower bank be operated on the same brightness as the brake bank on top?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
The two wires are a connection continuing the tail light (5w) circuit.
The board sounds like a mount for the connector.
What we need is the brighter circuit LEDs in the lower portion for a separate connection to the fog circuit.

If the lower LEDs are only the 5w version then surely they can be replaced with similar ones to the upper brake/tail version?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think they're the same as the upper leds... probably its enough if you connect your foglight with the 2 wires... but then they won't light up with normal light...
so like the stock tails....

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
I could live with top tails.

Question is what regulates brightness of LEDs ? Is it possible that TPCM sends more current for brighter light ?

Can you crocodile clip your fog circuit to the tail side lights to see ?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nah... if you have a look at the 3157 bulb you can see 4 wires... at the bottom
- 7W +
- minus
- 21W +
- minus
cuz u have 2 filaments inside the 3157 bulb...
in the socket, are the 2 minus wires conected...
so on your stock bulb is the 2nd filament burning if you brake, same as the stock us position light / turn signal on the front...
-> 1st filament is 7W for normal light (position light on the front trun signal bulb)
-> 2nd filament is 21W for braking light (turn signal on front an rear)
thats what your foglight is using... its the same as if you're braking the hole time ;)

so the 2 wires for 7W + and minus are looped through to the lower leds...

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
Understand all that but the question is about the difference between the LEDs in the top panel and those in the bottom.

Can the bottom panel be isolated from the top by removing the loop and connecting to the 21w Fog circuit, patently yes.
So what else needs to be done. Are LEDs rated same as filaments? Will they need to be swapped out?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
don't think so... should work if you connect your foglight wires with the 2 wires that are going down....

so if you don't wanna cut your cable... you could use this

add 2 wires for the contact and connect this instead of your foglight bulb... and then you could connect your 2 wires with the 2 wires from the leds... ;)

scroll down... http://autolumination.com/3157_3156.htm

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
I am thinking of the US new LED housing and it's LED panel, not using a 3157 bulb.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what you mean?
:(

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
I am thinking of replacing my leaking Dodge tails with smoked models like yours.

Not just using LED bulbs in my current units.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i know...

but what i mean for using the stock fog light is: u buy the empty socket,
add wires

and cables that it looks like this on the left side (but u only need 2 wires)

then you can plug this into foglight socket
and connect the cables to the 2 wires of the lower part of the LED tails

do you know what i mean?
so u don't need to cut your socket and you can easily swap to stock tails for your technical inspection
:D

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
^ I understood you Frank

·
Super Moderator
12,348 Posts
We do not have the strict TUV so I would never be reverting to stock.
IF I buy the LED tail housing I would look for a way of swapping the lower LED panel from it's single 7w function to a dual 21W/7W operation but I do not know how the top panel is constructed for such operation.

If I just break the lower tail loop and connect it to the fog circuit what illumination would it give as a 7W fog function would just count as a 7W double tail light like you already have.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts