Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2011 Caliber heat. Got LED fog lights zero issues.. got some Cree led headlights they kept on turning on/off every 30 seconds to couple minutes. Returned and got some beamtech lights off of Amazon due to there really high rating and added the ballasts, its better but still shuts one side or other off randomly... stupid dodge TIPM... anyone had 100% success with LED lights?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'd build a relay setup so they existing headlight wires only power the relay, with a custom dedicated heavy duty power circuit for the LED bulbs.

Something like this: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/attac...ss-headlight-wiring-harness-relay-diagram.jpg

This way, the current draw on your existing headlight wiring is very low, and the LEDs get fed power through a new heavy duty, separately fused, dedicated circuit that does not go through the TIPM.

·
Super Moderator
12,440 Posts
The circuit that does go through the TIPM would still need to detect sufficient resistance surely otherwise you will still get the shutdowns?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Fog lights work differently than the headlights...they're not "monitored" at all by the TIPM like the headlights are. If you want to run LED headlights you need the type that electrically emulate a halogen bulb in terms of power draw and resistance, otherwise the TIPM will sense an electrical problem and shut them off.

·
Super Moderator
12,440 Posts
The low current 'advantage' of LEDs is lost once you resist them, instead of powering light you are powering a heater.

Claims remaining are 'longer' life and the color of whiteness.

Reactions: 672aq

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The low current 'advantage' of LEDs is lost once you resist them, instead of powering light you are powering a heater.

Claims remaining are 'longer' life and the color of whiteness.
What?? It isn't resisting them to the point that your Loosing any light John. It's supposed to just act as a surge suppressor to trick the stupid TIPM.. But in my case it ain't working

·
Registered
277 Posts
No. Aleks is correct.

The resistor wires in parallel with the LED, increasing the amount of power going through the circuit.

An LED uses so little power, the computer thinks there’s no bulb or it’s burned out, giving the ricer hyperflash notification (on turn signals).

Now, for the fog lights, they could be using too much power (doubtful, but who knows). John Galt’s relay solution should be the proper way to wire those up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have a 2011 Caliber heat. Got LED fog lights zero issues.. got some Cree led headlights they kept on turning on/off every 30 seconds to couple minutes. Returned and got some beamtech lights off of Amazon due to there really high rating and added the ballasts, its better but still shuts one side or other off randomly... stupid dodge TIPM... anyone had 100% success with LED lights?
/Did you find a solution for this issue? I'm facing the same problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts