Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought LED headlights but they intermittently blink on and off. Has anyone had a way to fix this?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Please don't use LED bulbs for the headlights. The original housing is not designed for them, you really can’t focus or aim the beam, the wattage/brightness is illegal, they are too heavy and shake while driving, the Caliber computer hates them...

But, if you must, read this...

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
If you were not already aware then the modding route is maybe not for you.

Caliber is a CANBUS vehicle. There are already CANBUS LED compatible bulbs if you really want (but not recommended).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please don't use LED bulbs for the headlights. The original housing is not designed for them, you really can’t focus or aim the beam, the wattage/brightness is illegal, they are too heavy and shake while driving, the Caliber computer hates them...

But, if you must, read this...
Thank you for the helpful information I really hate halogen lights They are just not really bright.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you were not already aware then the modding route is maybe not for you.

Caliber is a CANBUS vehicle. There are already CANBUS LED compatible bulbs if you really want (but not recommended).
I definitely am going to try the CANBUS LED compatible bulbs why would you not recommend I'm just curious?🤔 The halogen bulbs are so dim compared to LEDs ☺

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
Personally i would not listen to someone like me and probably try them out. But the car's electrics are designed by Daimler not to tolerate modding. Brighter lights are anti-social and likely endanger you more than enhancing your safety. They are more expensive and likely won't last as long as expected/advertised. Many are cheap copies read through Amazon reviews, some seem legit.
Some members have adopted them and written up their experience, no overwhelming use case. Clean and polish your lenses also works. If your lights aren't bright clean your connections / grounds.

Speak to your elders - Halogens were a revelation that transformed auto visibility ( in their day ). LEDs are more a fashion design statement allowing lighting effects and low profile lenses. The real benefits are in projectors and automation.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I definitely am going to try the CANBUS LED compatible bulbs why would you not recommend I'm just curious?🤔 The halogen bulbs are so dim compared to LEDs ☺
The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) is monitoring the headlight bulbs and expects a certain current draw by the bulbs. When you replace the stock halogen bulbs with LEDs, which are drawing a lot less current, it freaks the computer out. TIPM thinks there's a headlight problem and can shut off power to them as a precautionary measure.

If you can find LED buibs that mimic halogens from an electrical perspective they might work but I suspect it won't be worth the effort. From what I know such bulbs require extra hardware that'll be hard to mount and you'll probably lose the extra energy efficiency of the LEDs.

Also keep in mind that the headlight assembly and its reflectors were designed for a halogen bulb. LEDs have a different light pattern and as a result the BULBS may be brighter than a halogen but the amount of light coming out of your headlight assembly may be LESS than halogens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts