Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,594 Posts
If you were not already aware then the modding route is maybe not for you.

Caliber is a CANBUS vehicle. There are already CANBUS LED compatible bulbs if you really want (but not recommended).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please don't use LED bulbs for the headlights. The original housing is not designed for them, you really can’t focus or aim the beam, the wattage/brightness is illegal, they are too heavy and shake while driving, the Caliber computer hates them...

But, if you must, read this...
Thank you for the helpful information I really hate halogen lights They are just not really bright.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you were not already aware then the modding route is maybe not for you.

Caliber is a CANBUS vehicle. There are already CANBUS LED compatible bulbs if you really want (but not recommended).
I definitely am going to try the CANBUS LED compatible bulbs why would you not recommend I'm just curious?🤔 The halogen bulbs are so dim compared to LEDs ☺

·
Super Moderator
12,594 Posts
Personally i would not listen to someone like me and probably try them out. But the car's electrics are designed by Daimler not to tolerate modding. Brighter lights are anti-social and likely endanger you more than enhancing your safety. They are more expensive and likely won't last as long as expected/advertised. Many are cheap copies read through Amazon reviews, some seem legit.
Some members have adopted them and written up their experience, no overwhelming use case. Clean and polish your lenses also works. If your lights aren't bright clean your connections / grounds.

Speak to your elders - Halogens were a revelation that transformed auto visibility ( in their day ). LEDs are more a fashion design statement allowing lighting effects and low profile lenses. The real benefits are in projectors and automation.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I definitely am going to try the CANBUS LED compatible bulbs why would you not recommend I'm just curious?🤔 The halogen bulbs are so dim compared to LEDs ☺
The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) is monitoring the headlight bulbs and expects a certain current draw by the bulbs. When you replace the stock halogen bulbs with LEDs, which are drawing a lot less current, it freaks the computer out. TIPM thinks there's a headlight problem and can shut off power to them as a precautionary measure.

If you can find LED buibs that mimic halogens from an electrical perspective they might work but I suspect it won't be worth the effort. From what I know such bulbs require extra hardware that'll be hard to mount and you'll probably lose the extra energy efficiency of the LEDs.

Also keep in mind that the headlight assembly and its reflectors were designed for a halogen bulb. LEDs have a different light pattern and as a result the BULBS may be brighter than a halogen but the amount of light coming out of your headlight assembly may be LESS than halogens.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes I am rocking resistors. 6 ohm I believe to get my leds working. My leds have built in fans that hum when the lights are on and the vehicle is off. The resistors get hot af, the only safe place to mount is between frame and fender. You will need dual resistors, one for each headlight hi/low beam. They are the gold things in pix they get over 200 degrees.
Guitar accessory Crankset Sports equipment String instrument accessory String instrument

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the first commenter is wrong. Many manufacturers are installing LED bulbs in newer cars. The technology of LED lamps is now advanced enough to provide us with excellent lighting at night and in foggy weather. On my parking lights are LEDs. Also, I installed LED bulbs on my fog and car lights because it's great for illuminating the dark road. Also, you probably haven't heard of smart bulbs. This is a good solution for those who want a very contrasting light. About your question, I can tell you that you didn't connect your bulb to the power, which is why the onboard computer doesn't see it as part of the car and the bulb blinks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think the first commenter is wrong. Many manufacturers are installing LED bulbs in newer cars. The technology of LED lamps is now advanced enough to provide us with excellent lighting at night and in foggy weather.

MOD - By first commenter I assume he means post #2 which is correct.
THIS POST IS NOT RELEVANT TO CALIBERS. Yes new cars are designed for LEDs.
Yes, make sure you buy ones that say CANBUS or you will need resistors as i posted pics of above. Generally run $60 dollars for CANBUS ones.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I think the first commenter is wrong. Many manufacturers are installing LED bulbs in newer cars.
There's a huge difference between the LED headlight assemblies manufacturers are putting in new cars vs. replacing halogen bulbs with LEDs in older cars.

Note that I said "assemblies" as that's exactly what they are...a sealed headlight unit with LED bulbs in it. The unit is specifically designed to reflect LED light patterns and ensure good light projection onto the road. The downside to these assemblies are that you have to replace the whole thing if an LED fails (and contrary to the ads LEDs can and do fail), and they can easily cost $1000-$2000 EACH. o_O

On the flip side are LED conversion kits to convert non-LED halogen headlights to LEDs...plenty has been posted on this forum about them but here's the rub. The headlight assembly was designed for optimal reflection of the light emitted by a HALOGEN bulb. If you swap in an LED that emits a different light pattern, the light projected onto the road may be sub-optimal. There's also the issue of LED compatibility with the car's electronics, something that's often a problem with Chrysler products sporting a TIPM.

I'm not saying that a properly selected and installed LED conversion can't make your headlights better, I'm saying that it's not as simple as people seem to think it is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts