Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the key fob loose the unlock code after the battery has been bead for an extended amount of time?

If so, can the car relearn the code as long as you have two keys already programmed into the car?

Or does it even work like that?

Basically I have a dead key FOB that even with a new battery I cant get to work.

Thanks

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
You'll probably have to program it as if it were a new one. I think I remember a programming procedure in the manual.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
if you open the key, the battery has no contact to the board...
and i removed the battery....
no probs...

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
i referring that if you open the key, its the same as removing the battery...
and i removed my battery not just one time and had never probs with my key...
i hope we're talking about the stock key...
lol

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
i referring that if you open the key, its the same as removing the battery...
and i removed my battery not just one time and had never probs with my key...
i hope we're talking about the stock key...
lol
ZoSoAir had a dead battery in his FOB for a long time. The FOBs have an ever changing code. If the FOB doesn't get used for a long time and the battery is dead, it becomes like a new FOB. The battery that he disconnected was the car's battery. Zo just needs to reprogram the FOB so the car recognizes it.;)

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
no..... i had no probs with removing the key battery but makes sense that the flash memory looses the informations after a long time without power....

·
Super Moderator
12,093 Posts
A useful reminder to check both keys are working from time to time.
My second/spare only gets taken out for service visits.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So now, technically I have only one working key FOB. Will I run inot the same programming issue as I would if I was adding an additional key to the car with only one programmed?

Someone here understands what I'm trying to say. So I would be making the car relearn the key FOB frequency and not the transponder within the key...???

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ZoSoAir had a dead battery in his FOB for a long time. The FOBs have an ever changing code. If the FOB doesn't get used for a long time and the battery is dead, it becomes like a new FOB. The battery that he disconnected was the car's battery. Zo just needs to reprogram the FOB so the car recognizes it.;)

Nope I never removed the battery from the car.

·
Super Moderator
12,093 Posts
So now, technically I have only one working key FOB. Will I run inot the same programming issue as I would if I was adding an additional key to the car with only one programmed?

Someone here understands what I'm trying to say. So I would be making the car relearn the key FOB frequency and not the transponder within the key...???
My understanding is if you only have two keys and one of the batteries starts to die then you have to replace before the memory runs out.

If you only have one live key then the dealer will have to program the reactivated second.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, what if you've replaced the battery, and no alarm sound for locking when you use your fob key? Replaced it about a year ago, and have not been able to program nothing and I have to use the actual key hole to open my car, but no sound to let me know its locked...

·
Super Moderator
12,093 Posts
You have a new working remote fob key?
You wish to program the locking sound/flash ?
Those are options in the EVIC, if not equipped then instructions in
your owners handbook.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You have a new working remote fob key?
You wish to program the locking sound/flash ?
Those are options in the EVIC, if not equipped then instructions in
your owners handbook.
It's not a new key fob; only have the original one key from when I bought it in 2009, and dealership said if I wanted another one it would cost me $160, so I said no. Should've been more vocal and told them "no 2 keys, no deal". :(

·
Super Moderator
12,093 Posts
With 2 working keys you can program your own spare.
If you have changed the battery you might need to reset your preferences, did that process not work?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't have 2 working keys, just one original that came with the car when I bought it back in '09. Might just get a better battery to see if it works since I bought a Dollar Tree one to save $$. Haven't driven the car much either because we're going to work on getting the rods replaced and new tires which are due. Might just wait until then!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not sure how easy it will be to get a key fob without a working spare, I've heard many horror stories where people had to take their car to dealership and/or were charged crazy amounts of money.

When I bought my used 2010 Caliber with previous owner giving me a single keyfob, my mechanic highly recommended me to get a spare keyfob made ASAP. I called dealership and they wanted something around $220USD for a spare. I then went to my local locksmith, who did it for around $95USD. First thing the locksmith asked me for was a working keyfob, then in less than 5 minutes I had another spare. My point being it's very easy to make a spare with another keyfob working, without it price goes up dramatically.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not sure how easy it will be to get a key fob without a working spare, I've heard many horror stories where people had to take their car to dealership and/or were charged crazy amounts of money.

When I bought my used 2010 Caliber with previous owner giving me a single keyfob, my mechanic highly recommended me to get a spare keyfob made ASAP. I called dealership and they wanted something around $220USD for a spare. I then went to my local locksmith, who did it for around $95USD. First thing the locksmith asked me for was a working keyfob, then in less than 5 minutes I had another spare. My point being it's very easy to make a spare with another keyfob working, without it price goes up dramatically.
That's insane how dealerships charge that much, they already make dough selling you a car and earn their commission! I'm lucky I paid this baby off years ago, but since it is still a good car, slowly working on getting things taken care of including the keyfob issue and already ordered tire rod parts for next project, plus need new tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar problem. Go to the dealer and ask for the key programming PIN code for your car. They will need to see proof that you own the car. My dealer gave me the code for free.

Then you can use a key programmer to program the keys to the car.

I used an Autel MX808, it is a bit pricey, but I used it to program 5 new keys for my three cars, and that more than paid for itself vs getting them done by a dealer or locksmith.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts