Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
Im not too familiar with these CAI systems. Does this one just bolt in and thats it? nothing major needs to be removed from under the hood for it to fit. Is it a do-it-yourself job or do you suggest going to get it done at a shop. I'm not super great with these things thats why im asking.
Your average home mechanic can get it done, I did mine myself. It was by no means easy though, so if you are not sure, get it done by someone who is more capable.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
I will have to dissagree with you on this one EX...it is an easy job...unless you are unable to:
A) Tie shoes
B) Program VCR
C) Walk and Chew gum.

Caliberlover...I'm in the Lower Mainland...PM me and i will either walk you through it or (for a 6 pack) will install it for you. It's "duck-soup-easy"
I live in Maple Ridge but Work 5-6 days a week in Richmond. Lemme Know
HCD
Like I said, your average home mechanic can get it done, someone who doesn't have any experience at all will have some difficulty. I had some trouble getting the air temp sensor into the new air tube, maybe you didn't, but it was no walk in the park... and by the way, most people can walk and chew gum at the same time, but they won't be able to install this air intake.:p ;)

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
intakes are waaaaaaaaay easier then VCR's! ha no seriously... for the most part intakes are like baby step mods, there really isnt anything to it... the hardest part is generally getting all the stock stuff out
It's not impossible for nearly anyone to do it in the Caliber, but I'd rather let everyone know it has it's hardships. The removal of the system was easy, its putting the new air tube in that posed some difficulty, because it is far down in the engine compartment with very little room to spare. You need to tighten down 2 hose clamps there to install it. Secondly, for some reason I had a heck of a time putting in the air temp sensor, every time I tried to push it into the grommet on the new air tube, the grommet pushed through. I even used some lubricant to get it in, and It still took me the most time in the job to get that part done.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
Hey guys. This is my first time here.Im 16 years old and this is my first car. Its a new 2.0 sxt. I was thinking about installing a intake system because i hear it sound really great and has some performance benefits. I had some trouble installing HID's for the headlights, but the fogs were easy. I usually do this stuff myself. I have no idea what to do unless a instruction booklet comes with it. Do you think i can do it myself and have it work successfully?

Thanks
-Chris.
Welcome to the forum!!

If you've got some basic skills, you should be able to do it. Just read some of the posts to get an idea of what you may encounter. I had trouble with the air temp sensor as did some other people, also there is not alot of room to work with, so the install is cramped. I removed the battery completely to get more room. There are instructions included so just follow it step by step.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
I suppose that nobody here has either heard, or seen that set up, especially on the Caliber. Maybe you can be the first to review it.;) Post some pics and a video if you do get it, I'm sure there are some that would be interested on seeing it.:D

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
searched around on this thread, didn't find too many exact reports on changes on MPG. for the most part, are you guys who have installed the KN CAI expieriencing decrease, increase, or no change in your MPG? i'm in the market to get one of these, but the ONLY thing i'm concerned with is making my caliber go further for less money. not concerned with getting louder or faster.

thanks.
Then don't get one, use the $200 to buy gas, it would take along time to get that money back even if you did increase the milage by a mile or two.;)

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
ordered the k/n cold air intake kit from advance auto parts online shipped for 253.33 with tax free shipping tho
You could have got that for $199.95 through one of our sponsors, Autoanything, using the code that they gave us. You could save yourself a few bucks!!!

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how it's the intakes fault. Unless you damaged any sensors or forgot to re-connect them during install. Trace back your steps and make sure everything is OK.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
i have a question about cold air intake, not sure if it has been answered yet, but does it do anything for gas mileage?
If you take into consideration that you'll be flooring it to hear how it sounds, intially you'll get poor mileage. Don't expect any miracles with it in gas savings, but it may have a small increase.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
found nothing on the steps i did sensor not damaged i checked it first. the grating sound siunds like wheel bearing or old time type speedometer cable sound when they used to go bad . the whirring sound was the kn intake i found out after i put original air box back in<want no hassles at all from dealer monday about that>Why in heaven`s name did i get rid of my pt for this! my sisters 2.0 se caliber with cvt is faster at take off! and no grating sound she has 23000 miles with her cvt caliber... arghhh..... the lite didn`t come on till after 3 hours off and on driving yesterday after installl that`s another reason why i think its not the kn that this problem is also
Let us know what it is when you find out.;)

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
Just got mine in the mail, and with in 30min I was up and running. Man they should have come from the factory with this thing. Not bad for $120 to my door.
Where in the world did you get it so cheap?

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
The cheapest you may have been able to get it, is from Autoanything using the forum coupon code, it would have been $197.95 plus shipping.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
Anyone from Canada place an order through Autoanything. I'm just wondering what kind of extra surcharges I might have? I know customs but they mention a few others on their website.
Maybe your best bet is to call them and see what the bottom line is, couldn't hurt.;)

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
I am guess AutoAnything's price went up....I am seeing 268.13 - $10 forum code =258.13 shipped?
Looks that way!! I guess it's a little late to get that bargain now.:eek:

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
How often do I need to clean my K&N cold-air intake? (The filters...)?
That depends on the conditions in which you drive. If you're on dusty roads often, you'll need to clean it more.

This is from K&N's website.

4. How often do I need to clean my K&N air filter?

If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your filter is fine and does not yet need cleaning. To be more specific, the filter does not require cleaning if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the filter, it is time to clean it. When used in normal paved road, street or highway conditions, our replacement air filters that fit in the factory air box should require cleaning every 50,000 miles and our large conical filters on an intake system should require cleaning every 100,000 miles. When used in dusty or off-road environments, our filters will require cleaning more often. We recommend that you visually inspect your filter once every 25,000 miles to determine if the screen is still visible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.