Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is for people who are thinking of installing a K&N Cold Air intake or a thread for people who have already installed them and want to tell others of their results, This thread is to help people who are having problems with installation or are trying to decide if it is worth the money:wow:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have that same K&N intake installed. Made the throttle more responsive. Definitely gave the sound of the engine some more intimidating. Still not a sports car lol. no change in mpg

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
is this one better than the one that mopar has out? do u need any type of special tools to install it?
Of course it's better. You're sucking in outside cold air, not hot engine air like the Mopar. No special tools are needed.;)

G

·
I recently ordered my K&N CAI from Autozone for $240. It was pretty straight forward to install. I love how it sounds (although it is kind of werid because there is no shifting). It's like one continous roar. I have notice a little more performace but not too much, its the sound makes it well worth it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Im not too familiar with these CAI systems. Does this one just bolt in and thats it? nothing major needs to be removed from under the hood for it to fit. Is it a do-it-yourself job or do you suggest going to get it done at a shop. I'm not super great with these things thats why im asking.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
Im not too familiar with these CAI systems. Does this one just bolt in and thats it? nothing major needs to be removed from under the hood for it to fit. Is it a do-it-yourself job or do you suggest going to get it done at a shop. I'm not super great with these things thats why im asking.
Your average home mechanic can get it done, I did mine myself. It was by no means easy though, so if you are not sure, get it done by someone who is more capable.

G

·
I will have to dissagree with you on this one EX...it is an easy job...unless you are unable to:
A) Tie shoes
B) Program VCR
C) Walk and Chew gum.

Caliberlover...I'm in the Lower Mainland...PM me and i will either walk you through it or (for a 6 pack) will install it for you. It's "duck-soup-easy"
I live in Maple Ridge but Work 5-6 days a week in Richmond. Lemme Know
HCD

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
I will have to dissagree with you on this one EX...it is an easy job...unless you are unable to:
A) Tie shoes
B) Program VCR
C) Walk and Chew gum.

Caliberlover...I'm in the Lower Mainland...PM me and i will either walk you through it or (for a 6 pack) will install it for you. It's "duck-soup-easy"
I live in Maple Ridge but Work 5-6 days a week in Richmond. Lemme Know
HCD
Like I said, your average home mechanic can get it done, someone who doesn't have any experience at all will have some difficulty. I had some trouble getting the air temp sensor into the new air tube, maybe you didn't, but it was no walk in the park... and by the way, most people can walk and chew gum at the same time, but they won't be able to install this air intake.:p ;)

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
intakes are waaaaaaaaay easier then VCR's! ha no seriously... for the most part intakes are like baby step mods, there really isnt anything to it... the hardest part is generally getting all the stock stuff out
It's not impossible for nearly anyone to do it in the Caliber, but I'd rather let everyone know it has it's hardships. The removal of the system was easy, its putting the new air tube in that posed some difficulty, because it is far down in the engine compartment with very little room to spare. You need to tighten down 2 hose clamps there to install it. Secondly, for some reason I had a heck of a time putting in the air temp sensor, every time I tried to push it into the grommet on the new air tube, the grommet pushed through. I even used some lubricant to get it in, and It still took me the most time in the job to get that part done.

·
Registered
513 Posts
HCD thanks for the offer though. I have decided to get only the K&N Air filter for now and might upgrade to a CAI later.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I installed my K&N CAI about 2 months ago. I have noticed no MPG difference and I can say only a light improvement is acceleration, I might say it get a little more responsive. But the sound that my engine makes, ohhh god! Definitively worth the expense!

I agree Excaliber! I made the install myself but had some trouble fitting my hands in so reduced spaces for the hoses and the air sensor gave me some trouble because the grommet always slipped through.

G

·
Hey guys. This is my first time here.Im 16 years old and this is my first car. Its a new 2.0 sxt. I was thinking about installing a intake system because i hear it sound really great and has some performance benefits. I had some trouble installing HID's for the headlights, but the fogs were easy. I usually do this stuff myself. I have no idea what to do unless a instruction booklet comes with it. Do you think i can do it myself and have it work successfully?

Thanks
-Chris.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
Hey guys. This is my first time here.Im 16 years old and this is my first car. Its a new 2.0 sxt. I was thinking about installing a intake system because i hear it sound really great and has some performance benefits. I had some trouble installing HID's for the headlights, but the fogs were easy. I usually do this stuff myself. I have no idea what to do unless a instruction booklet comes with it. Do you think i can do it myself and have it work successfully?

Thanks
-Chris.
Welcome to the forum!!

If you've got some basic skills, you should be able to do it. Just read some of the posts to get an idea of what you may encounter. I had trouble with the air temp sensor as did some other people, also there is not alot of room to work with, so the install is cramped. I removed the battery completely to get more room. There are instructions included so just follow it step by step.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.