Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fam, any help will be appreciated. Parked my car( for about 5 mins). Tried to crank it back up and it made a grinding sound like metal on metal. I assumed it was the battery but when aaa came they could not jump it. I towed it home and I haven't been able to get it started since.It seemed like i had full power at the time. I did notice that my positive connector to battery was loose. I tried to tighten and then tried another jump but fail. When I turn the key i hear a click and the windshield wiper might go one full turn. After the click it is followed by quieter clicks . The next day I tried several times but major fail. Now my battery seems to be completely dead. The lights inside barely come on and radio no longer works. What should I do next. Trying not to spend too much mula but if I have too I have too.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
12,089 Posts
Not much to go on, if it was the battery AAA should be able to jump it.
Grinding sounds like starter. Come back with more info.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Yank the battery and take it to Autozone, Advance, etc and have it load tested. Sounds to me like you've got a dead one. Oh, and clean and tighten your cables and ground connections too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a brand new battery because mine was ancient. The car still wont start. All the power is there but no start. The grinding sound must have been the starter. I will check the starter next. Will post back

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Can you get to the starter and tap it with a hammer while you have a friend try to crank it at with the key? If so, try that. Sometimes the brushes can be shot in your starter and tapping it will allow them to make contact and start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Took the battery to get it tested. The battery was bad. Bought a new one.Car still wont start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the starter out and the cone of the starter was broken off! How? I guess that was the sound I heard when this problem started.Will replace starter and and hopefully that is all I have to do. Will post back

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Well, crap happens sometimes. At least you know what it is and you did have a crap battery. I don't understand why you had to buy another one though. Didn't you state that you'd already bought one? If that's the case, it should have been replaced free of charge to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK. Put the starter on(autozone, lifetime warranty).Now the battery light is on. Any ideas why? Is it the alternator? Car starts with a jump. It feels like I dont have enough power in the battery. I think I should check the alternator next. It seems strange that the starter, battery, alternator will screw up in that order. The battery doesnt seem to be charging with car running. My clock lights and everything else is getting dimmer. I dont understand whats going on. I guess I will know more when I get this thing out uuuugh.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Do the TIPM/PCM reset as detailed in the Electrical Problems and Questions sub-forum as a "sticky" thread.

The starter issue likely freaked out the starter/charging system and the TIPM is holding on to the freak out.

·
Super Moderator
12,089 Posts
So it starts on a jump and you have two batteries. I would fully recharge one. Then check your voltages with the car running. In my case after much diagnosis there was a difference between the alternator output 14.2v and the battery input 11.7v. The fix was to bypass the charging cable with a new one.
It's been behaving now for 2 weeks.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
As a follow up, if the TIPM reset doesn't work; try doing the key dance (on-off-on-off-on- start). Sometimes when something catastrophic happens to the electrical system the PCM will shut the charging system down. The key dance has been known to wake up the system.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies. It took me a while to reply because another issue came up. Top radiator hose broke off. Got another one from napa (lifetime warranty 39.99 plus tax). As for the alternator issue I tried a pcm reset and the key dance. Pcm reset does nothing. Key dance shows _ _ _ _ _ _ _ and then reads done. Car starts when battery has full charge. I went to autozone and tested charging system. They said battery was good, starter was good, but alternator showed 0 voltage. I checked all the fuses and the wire running to battery seems fine. The wire going to the tipm seems ok as well. The alternator was checked before i bought it. Any more help would be fantastic.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It took me a while to reply because another issue came up. Top radiator hose broke off. Got another one from napa (lifetime warranty 39.99 plus tax). As for the alternator issue I tried a pcm reset and the key dance. Pcm reset does nothing. Key dance shows _ _ _ _ _ _ _ and then reads done. Car starts when battery has full charge. I went to autozone and tested charging system. They said battery was good, starter was good, but alternator showed 0 voltage. I checked all the fuses and the wire running to battery seems fine. The wire going to the tipm seems ok as well. The alternator was checked before i bought it. Any more help would be fantastic.
The field isn't charging up. I gave you the cure that another member discovered. The key dance. It's not to get a display on the dash, but to wake up the alternator. Go ahead and read the entire thread: http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?33510-08-Caliber-SE-Charging-issues-(with-strange-fix!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have read the thread. What exactly is the key dance? I thought it was turning the key off and on 3 times. ON the third time I thought I should leave it on. Am I doing something wrong?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I have read the thread. What exactly is the key dance? I thought it was turning the key off and on 3 times. ON the third time I thought I should leave it on. Am I doing something wrong?
Yeah, as my post indicated; on-off-on-off-on-start. Starting it immediately is required to shock the alternator to life.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I've did the key dance several times but battery light is still on. Any more ideas?
Well obviously, the field isn't charging up. You may have a defective alternator. Yes, and I know you stated it was tested, but that was before it was put in service.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts