Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a 2007 Caliber for $3900 from a small used car dealer and it has 69,000 miles on it. But I'm not familiar with Dodge cars in general, and I've read some worrying things about the suspension on it. Can anybody give some background info on whether Dodge Calibers are reliable and have a good lifespan low cost color copies online near me?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Depends on what part of the world you live in. 2007 was the first model year for the Caliber and had its share of issues, some of which were addressed in later years.

If you live in an area where it snows and salt is used on the roads, don't buy the car. The two subframes (the steel framework that bolts to the car and carries all of your suspension components) are known for quickly rotting out. Chrysler eventually offered a 10 year extended warranty on them for 2007 year Calibers, and that warranty was eventually extended to all model year Calibers. Unless the previous owner of that Caliber had the subframes replaced, they're probably not long for this world and would cost a fortune to replace.

If rust isn't an issue where you live, first allow me to say I'm insanely jealous...I live in upstate NY. :) You should still have the subframes checked by an independent mechanic to ensure they're structurally sound.

Overall the Caliber isn't a horrible car but it's certainly not a Toyota in terms of reliability. The engines are reliable but the CVT automatic transmissions aren't the greatest. The 5-speed manual offered in the Caliber is a better choice. Other weak spots in the Caliber are factory suspension components (bushings, ball joints, etc.) that tend to wear quickly, but quality aftermarket replacements do seem to last longer. The computerized fuse box (called the TIPM) is a potential source of trouble for any Chrysler products of that era, as is the wiring that runs from it to the cabin...there's a section of it under the battery that turns 180 degrees and sometimes chafes against the frame at this location and creates electrical issues.

Other than that, no other major trouble areas. Personally I would prefer a 2010 or newer Caliber with the updated interior and a 5-speed (which is exactly what I drive), but if that 2007 isn't rotted out, the subframes and suspension are in good shape, and the engine/transmission are in good working order, it would definitely be worth consideration. Use a tool like KBB or Edmunds to find out what the car's worth though to ensure the price is reasonable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since you are from India and from what I know dodge really are not that popular there I feel you have to pass that model since for sure it would be harder for you to find parts that needed to be changed.

·
Registered
665 Posts
No they are not a good reliable car.

Plauged with electrical issues, bad wiring, bad automatic transmissions, and bad suspension design.

Only good thing has been the engine and the 5 speed manual trans and brakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts