Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2007 SXT Dodge Calibre
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
My internal rear vision mirror, is just slightly on the loose side. It is okay so to speak, but not nice and tight and firm.. And now that I have attached a reverse parking camera/ dash cam, that the screen is also a mirror and attches over the existing rear view mirror, wwell after a short while of driving on smooth sealed roads, the mirror angle drops down, the more I then push it back up, it then keeps dropping down. I thought there may have been a tightening screw but there is not, it is just simply a ball on the mirror that goes into a socket that is on the stalk that then attches to the windscreen. Has anyone had this issue and what did you do.
Cheers, and here is hoping for some helpful advice.
Regards David.

· Registered
606 Posts
Is the part that attaches to the windshield loose?

Or is it loose at one of the two balljoints?

Is this the standard mirror, or the [heavy] electric one with auto dimming?

A photo would help.

· Registered
2007 SXT Dodge Calibre
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the standard mirror not the auto dimming type. And it is loose in the ball joint. I did see a video on youtube for a different car, where the person grabs each side of the mirror and pulls very hard to pull the mirror away at the ball joint. And then packs it with a couple of sheets of paper. I dont like the idea of applying force on the mirror to do this, without knowing it will work without breaking something.

· Super Moderator
12,668 Posts
An interesting question that has not been asked before. Personally I would buy one from a scrapper. Use a wire to cut through the adhesive.

· Registered
2007 SXT Dodge Calibre
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An interesting question that has not been asked before. Personally I would buy one from a scrapper. Use a wire to cut through the adhesive.
I can find one that is brand new on ebay, that is cheap and may do the job. I am cautious about buying one from a vehicle that has been wrecked, as it may not last long, and I be back to square one. And as far as removing the button that attaches to the windscreen / windshield, well I would be cautious about using wire as suggested as it may scratch the glass. One way to remove the metal button is to heat the button up with a butane cigarette lighter, until it melts the glue and it literally falls off. I would rather repair my if I can, if it is a cheap easy fix, this way II can use my reverse camera sooner. If I have to purchase a new mirror, then I have to wait some time before it arrives, so then I have to wait until then to use the reversing camera. Thanks anyway.

· Super Moderator
12,668 Posts
I use a copper wire or fishing line rather than flame. For this item I would remove it myself after testing, not a blind used buy which as you suspect may not be any different.
If you find a fix do post up. The paper trick may see you through to obtaining a new one.

· Registered
606 Posts
7:am - I'm lost.

There's the metal part that's glued to the windshield.

Then there's the sleeve that slides over and down the metal part and secured with a screw on its underside.

That sleeve is permanently attached to a ball joint, then the arm, then another ball joint, then the mirror's back. All one part here.

To remove a mirror, the screw on the underside of the sleeve just needs to be loosened, then slid up from the metal plate/mount on the windshield.

Copper wire? Fishing line? What's this all about, Red Green?

· Super Moderator
12,668 Posts
Copper wire? Fishing line? What's this all about, Red Green?
Too involved. At scrappers I just yank parts off but a copper wire (from cable offcuts) or nylon is 'soft' and does not scratch. Otherwise I hammer a blade into the bonding.

This is the base 04805332AD
Tool Automotive exterior Bicycle part Auto part Metal

Mine is the auto 04805572AD
Peripheral Input device Output device Gadget Bicycle part

They are the same range on all models ( Hands-free mic is 05064017AD )

· Registered
2007 SXT Dodge Calibre
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Too involved. At scrappers I just yank parts off but a copper wire (from cable offcuts) or nylon is 'soft' and does not scratch. Otherwise I hammer a blade into the bonding.

They are the same range on all models ( Hands-free mic is 05064017AD )
The big issue that I have in buying a used one, is that these cars are so rare, where I live that the wrecking yards dont have this type of car, and it means getting one from over the internet, and I cant see it before I purchase. And when I can buy brand new, for one that looks very similiar, only slightly different, for cheaper than what I can from a wrecking yard, but it is going to take 6 weeks to arrive here from USA. If I can get the ball joint appart, I think then I can fix it with either brass, or teflon shim.

· Registered
2007 SXT Dodge Calibre
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And when I can buy brand new, for one that looks very similiar, only slightly different, for cheaper than what I can from a wrecking yard, but it is going to take 6 weeks to arrive here from USA.

· Registered
2007 SXT Dodge Calibre
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh well, I have the answer on what not to do. I did as suggested on a youtube video and that was to pull on each side of the mirror. I decided not to do this with it mounted on the window, as I did notwant to stress my windscreen / windshield. So I removed it by undoing the screw, then I put the stalk into a vice, and grabbed behind the mirror on each side and applied pressure pulling it up, and it did not release from the ball joint, but instead the mirror simply flexed and cracked in multiple places. So, now I am having to buy a new mirror. Oh well, I found one in Australia that is new, and juyst a little dearer than the one from USA, but at least I will have it within 10 days. Cheers guys and gals, so you now know WHAT NOT TO DO.

· Registered
2007 SXT Dodge Calibre
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was thinking, of putting a few drops of soda on the balljoints to make them sticky.

Next Caliber then?
I dont think that would work, as it needs about 1/10" in packing minimum. It doesnt matter to me now anyhow, I tried what youtube suggested, and I had a feeling that something would break in doing so, and I was right. Hopefully someone will find this thread, for if and when they have the same issue.

· Registered
2007 SXT Dodge Calibre
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would get it in position and stick a toothpick in the ball joint, then break the toothpick off, or not!
Its doesnt matter now. I have placed epoxy sround the ball joint for the moment to hold the mirror in a fixed position (non-adjustable), and waiting on replacement mirror that should arrive early next week. Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts