Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my intake manifold and I am in need of assistance in doing this. Does anybody know or have a tutorial on how to do this in a 2008 SXT 1.8L Caliber?

I need to know how to remove the old one and set in the new one.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
First off, why are you replacing it, is there something flat out broken on it? It's beyond rare for one to 'break'. That's not to say whatever your problem is, isn't intake related.
Did you get the 'Lightning bolt' light and now have no throttle response? You only need to replace the throttle body itself, not the intake.
Has it thrown a CEL code, and it translates to the intake runner valve isn't working? You'll ether need to replace the actuator itself, or just remove it and run it through it's cycles with a pair of needle nosed pliers, then put it back on.
Bothe jobs are easier then a full intake remove and replace.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am replacing it because the runner is stuck. I have talked to multiple mechanics and they all confirmed I will need to replace the entire Intake Manifold not just a little part. So that is why I am asking for help.

I got a check engine light a while back and took it to AutoZone to see what codes I would get and all had to do with the Intake Manifold. After speaking with a few mechanics I was told replacing the whole thing is what I need to do.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Yes, it likely isn't, you should try pulling the actuator off and running it through it's full cycle by hand with a pair of needle nose pliers. While it's off, take a flat blade screwdriver and check the runner flap just to be sure, it only moves about an eighth of a turn and if it moves, even a little, it's not stuck. Once you're sure, reinstall the actuator. You don't even have to unplug it unless you want to. 5 or 6 restarts will clear the CEL code, or go to a parts store and have them clear it for you. I have had to do this more than once on two different Calibers. It's a 15 to 20 minute job and well worth trying before tearing the front off the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I did take that off once and move it with needle noise pliers. It did move. Which means, if I understand correctly what you are saying, I do NOT need to replace the whole thing? 5 or 6 restarts of the car at this point?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Yes. It's spring loaded and snaps back. The actuator turns a lot more than the valve itself does.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok cool. So while I am restarting it what should I make sure I have disconnected?

Since I already know that it is not stuck I can skip ahead to the restarting portion I'm guessing.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Disconnect nothing. Just go about driving for a few days, it'll self clear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been driving with the check engine light on for about 10 months now. It wasn't a quick thing. It started back in July and it is now almost May.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been driving with the check engine light on for about 10 months now. It wasn't a quick thing. It started back in July and it is now almost May.
Any idea what anyone thinks I will have to do? Is replacing the whole Intake Manifold the bets idea, or is there any suggestions?

Also, I GASCAP light just came on. Opened the gas cap, took it off, put it back on, and pressed the reset mileage button on the dash. Next day, turned on again. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The gascap indicator means the fuel system is not sealed
so you have make sure you clean both the fuel tube neck
and the gas cap seal thoroughly to start with.
If that fails you can try similar cap and you may have to
replace it.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I don't know about the intake, but suggest you download the service manual from our site. As for the gas cap, you may just need to clean it and put it back on. Make sure it clicks. If the code doesn't clear, you might try replacing the cap. If you're one of those people that keeps clicking the pump handle after it shuts off, then you've probably saturated the charcoal canister in the EVAP system and will have to replace it. That's a bad habit and I see idiots do it every time I'm at the gas station.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the reply. I do not top off at the gas station. As soon as its done, i take it out. I will try and wipe off the cap and put it back on and see if it clears itself in the next few days. Any assistance on the Intake Manifold would be greatly appreciated. Even a link to a tutorial of replacing it myself.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The service manual link in the manuals section of this forum
allows you to download the service manual to your system.
There are also countless how to do it videos on YouTube
so just search there for videos.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts