Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted a little more power and a little louder note than the stock RT. I looked around online and found one at Mopar Supercenter. They have alot of great products for all kinds of vehicles and a several for the Caliber. It arrived quickly and undamaged.

Taking off the stock exhaust is extremely easy! One clamp at the cat and three rubber hangers, then the whole thing comes out. The hardest part is not hitting yourself in the head, because it comes out so easy! We (my wonderful boyfriend and Mopar enthusiast and I) drug the stock exhaust aside and prepared the new exhaust. When you look at the two exhaust systems side by side, you'll be suprised to see how many differences there are. For one, the stock muffler looks like someone beat the hell out of it with a hammer! Also, the new exhaust system is make out of stainless steel. Scroll down to see for yourself.

The instructions are brief and simple: bolt the exhaust system together, hang it under the car, tighten the clamp. This might be all you need to do. We decided to be a bit more picky! SInce there is no cutout on the left side of the bumper for the other exhaust outlet, both outlets hand kind of low.

The Caliber rear bumper has a cutout on the right hand side for the exhaust to exit. Since there was no cutout on the left side and we did not want the exhaust pipes to hang down low, we copied the cutout shape on the left side of the car and carefully cut out the bumper to match. We used a pneumatic die grinder with a carbide burr to cut the bumper like a hot knife through butter! With care this can be done with great precision. Scroll down to see how we patterned and cut the bumper.

The finishing touch was a trip down the street to our local muffler man. Where we cut the two exhaust outlets off right at the muffler and just pivoted them up into the bumper pockets. Cost: $30. The exhaust has a nice resonate note at idle, is very quiet at cruise and has a nice growl at wide open throttle!

·
Dodge Caliber Forums
1,295 Posts
I wanted a little more power and a little louder note than the stock RT. I looked around online and found one at Mopar Supercenter. They have alot of great products for all kinds of vehicles and a several for the Caliber. It arrived quickly and undamaged.

Taking off the stock exhaust is extremely easy! One clamp at the cat and three rubber hangers, then the whole thing comes out. The hardest part is not hitting yourself in the head, because it comes out so easy! We (my wonderful boyfriend and Mopar enthusiast and I) drug the stock exhaust aside and prepared the new exhaust. When you look at the two exhaust systems side by side, you'll be suprised to see how many differences there are. For one, the stock muffler looks like someone beat the hell out of it with a hammer! Also, the new exhaust system is make out of stainless steel. Scroll down to see for yourself.

The instructions are brief and simple: bolt the exhaust system together, hang it under the car, tighten the clamp. This might be all you need to do. We decided to be a bit more picky! SInce there is no cutout on the left side of the bumper for the other exhaust outlet, both outlets hand kind of low.

The Caliber rear bumper has a cutout on the right hand side for the exhaust to exit. Since there was no cutout on the left side and we did not want the exhaust pipes to hang down low, we copied the cutout shape on the left side of the car and carefully cut out the bumper to match. We used a pneumatic die grinder with a carbide burr to cut the bumper like a hot knife through butter! With care this can be done with great precision. Scroll down to see how we patterned and cut the bumper.

The finishing touch was a trip down the street to our local muffler man. Where we cut the two exhaust outlets off right at the muffler and just pivoted them up into the bumper pockets. Cost: $30. The exhaust has a nice resonate note at idle, is very quiet at cruise and has a nice growl at wide open throttle!

that looks great! I wanted to do that myself. Why oh why didnt dodge make the RT with dual outlet exhaust from the factory I have no idea. It looks so much better. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
You noticed that too, huh? I thought that was the reason for inserting the horrible sounds.
And yes, I agree it looks good.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
can you take a full on hiney shot of it? i really wanna see how it looks dead on looking from the rear.
Matt
Ditto!

I have this very exhaust system, waiting to be installed and the bumper cut out has had me wondering just what to do for the cut out(s), and a better look at yours is just what I need about now!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I got a slight sick feeling seeing the block and plank, I hope people don't follow your example.

Aside that, nice install and pointing out the main features. I did the same thing for the cut-outs when I installed a dual exhaust on a friend's magnum. Give it a good week and double check the level and clamps, you may find you have to tweek the bolts a touch.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just showed my BF your comments on his block/ ramp system and he's sitting here smiling. :)

He said they're 8x8 beam pieces with 2x10 planks lagged together and the front wheels were chalked, so not to worry! Good eyes, though! (I've seen him work on countless vehicles using these- he always drives the car up until the wheels are directly over the block, sets the brake, chalks the wheels and nothing ever goes anywhere.)

I'll get you a good picture from the back for you folks that wanted to see that view, this weekend. :cool:

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
A nice set of jack stands would make a great Christmas present!

·
Dodge Caliber Forums
1,295 Posts
I just showed my BF your comments on his block/ ramp system and he's sitting here smiling. :)

He said they're 8x8 beam pieces with 2x10 planks lagged together and the front wheels were chalked, so not to worry! Good eyes, though! (I've seen him work on countless vehicles using these- he always drives the car up until the wheels are directly over the block, sets the brake, chalks the wheels and nothing ever goes anywhere.)

I'll get you a good picture from the back for you folks that wanted to see that view, this weekend. :cool:
Saying that as she takes out a life insurance policy on him with an evil grin :FIREdevil:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Before we get totally off topic with the Killer Jack Stands/Ramps. Anyone know the real diifference between the AWD and FWD exhaust ? I'm trying to find some pictures of a side by side comparison.
I assume the muffler is the same, so that leaves the piping, which can't be more than an extra bend or two (?). My only guess is its such a tight fit, the extra diameter makes it a tight fit no one is willing to deal with.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before we get totally off topic with the Killer Jack Stands/Ramps. Anyone know the real diifference between the AWD and FWD exhaust ? I'm trying to find some pictures of a side by side comparison.
I assume the muffler is the same, so that leaves the piping, which can't be more than an extra bend or two (?). My only guess is its such a tight fit, the extra diameter makes it a tight fit no one is willing to deal with.
The rear drive shaft and the exhaust pipe share a very small tunnel under the car, so there's not a lot of room for error under there. The larger diameter after market exhaust and the perhaps not as closely enginered bends probably interfere.

My BF thinks he and his exhaust/ muffler guy could have worked around this this challenge if my caliber was AWD.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My BF thinks he and his exhaust/ muffler guy could have worked around this this challenge if my caliber was AWD.
That's what I thought and how I'd approach it, just makes me wonder why it doesn't exist. If its the piping, they already make single exhaust systems, so whats the hang-up I don't see.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I just showed my BF your comments on his block/ ramp system and he's sitting here smiling.

A nice set of jack stands would make a great Christmas present!
If you do take a rear hiney shot, do yourself a favor and don't put it on those pirate planks you improvised as a lift/jack!!! :wow::wow::wow:

Or are you trying to decapitate your beau so you can drive the cali all for yourself?? :i_rolleyes:
Even it was improvised, I still believe safety is paramount. I think I could say that everyone in the forum were concerned with your BFs well being.

Look at the bright side ... you have a idea for a good Christmas gift .... :)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_ex_n_4?ie=UTF8&rs=15708051&rh=n:15684181,n:15706941,n:15707701,n:15708011

And have a good excuse to ask his help for more mods in the near future. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice Exhaust Isis,
could you tell me the part number, because on the mopar supercenter website I didn't saw the exhaust maybe they have the wrong picture posted.

thanks Fonse

·
Dodge Caliber Forums
1,295 Posts

that is definately the exhaust Im getting.

·
Dodge Caliber Forums
1,295 Posts
That's what I thought and how I'd approach it, just makes me wonder why it doesn't exist. If its the piping, they already make single exhaust systems, so whats the hang-up I don't see.

because of the "single" bumper cut out. At least thats what Ive been told by magnaflow, and borla. Not everyone has the ability to do what Isis and her BF did to their bumper. And lets face it.....it wouldnt look right without the left side of the bumper being cut out to match the right side

1 - 20 of 25 Posts