Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INSTALLATION OF LIGHTED WINDOW SWITCHES FOR THE DODGE CALIBER.
Part 1
By Darren Grantham aka. Raven Ghostwolf

The switches I used are for a 2007 Dodge Charger you will need;
1 drivers door switch P/N 04602780AA. List price I paid $39.75.
3 rear passenger door switches P/N 04602787AA. List price I paid $8.05 each.

Tools used are;
Torx T-25 wrench or socket.
Plastic spatula.

Here is a picture of the switches before installation.

All 4 doors are done the same. I will start step by step with the drivers side door and then include a couple pictures of the left rear door also.

First you need to pop out the trim plug from the bottom of the hand grip in the arm rest. I did this with just my finger nail it comes out really easy. Next you need to remove the T-25 Torx screw located under this plug.

The next thing you need to do is the most nerve racking the first time you do it. To remove the door panel insert I used a plastic kitchen spatula to initially pry on it. I chose a plastic spatula to prevent scratching the plastic door panel. I took the spatula and worked it in between the insert and door panel prying out on the insert until I could get my finger tips on it enough to slowly but firmly pull back on it.

Here you can see one of the plastic clips that hold the panel in place. Pull back slowly with both hands working outwards to both ends and down, it sounds awful as you do it but if you take your time with it, the insert panel will pull free from the door panel.

Here are what the clips look like on the back of the insert panel.

Once the insert pulls free let it fold out from the door, there are 2 plastic factory restraining straps that act like hinges to hold the panel up for you.

The switch assembly is covered by a foam insulating material as you can see above.
Carefully peel back the material so it can be re-wrapped around the plugs when you are done.

Once the plugs are exposed there is a tab on the plug that you must press in as you pull on the plug to remove it from the switch assembly.

Once the plugs are removed, remove the switch assembly from the door insert. There are 6 tabs on the drivers switch (3 on each side) and 4 tabs on the other door switches. I found it easiest to remove the switch by pressing upwards on the switch under the panel with one hand and using the spatula to separate the switch and insert on the ‘back’ side first then the side closest to me to pop out the switch.
This picture shows the door insert with the switch removed.

At this point reassembly is just the reverse, snap the new switch into place, plug the wire harness back into the switches. Carefully re-wrap the foam insulation around the switch and plugs. Then lift the door insert back into place, I started at the bottom and worked my way around the sides and top pressing in and using the side of my fist to hammer against the panel popping it back into place. Once the insert is securely back in place put the Torx screw back in and pop the trim plug back into place.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
INSTALLATION OF LIGHTED WINDOW SWITCHES FOR THE DODGE CALIBER.
Part 2
By Darren Grantham aka. Raven Ghostwolf

The next picture shows the finished product. The next 2 where taken in low light where my digital camera doesn't work the best, the first is lights off, the next is with the lights on.

On a difficulty scale of 1 to 10, 1 being very easy and 10 being very difficult I would rate this about a 3 or 4. The first door took me the longest as I was really nervous about tearing in the doors and really had nothing to show me how. After that it only took me about 5 - 10 minuets per door. So hopefully this will help.

The next few pictures are for the drivers rear door and low light pictures of the passenger front door.

·
Registered
961 Posts
nice!:smiley_thumbs_up: now i want to do it! now i have to save the $

·
Dodge Caliber Forums
1,295 Posts
Nice Job

Nice job love. You can always seem to figure out things even if it does not look so good at the start of a project. You are very good with your hands :D

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
Excellent post Darren!!! I moved it to the knowledge base.:smileup:

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Man, that is so cool!! I want to do it too. I guess I'll have to start checking the pull-a-part to see if they have any Chargers in the yard. I can't afford the new ones.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Gee thanks. Something else i have to do to Caliber LOL!!! To be truthful, just the other night i couldn't see the switch to roll up the passenger window, so i'll be doing this very soon. Very good step by step directions and pictures. Also thanks for the part numbers. Reps for you and your wife, for putting up with you. LOL!!! Tennessee girls rock!!!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Congrats-some people just do things the proper way and pass on the knowledge.
Lots of reps and thank you.

·
Registered
401 Posts
here's my question, are they really green? or is that just how they came out in the photos? I'd love to do this mod but I'd like to keep the same bluish green lighting that is in the rest of the car.

Also if you buy them from DiscountedMoparParts.com they drop in price =p
1 drivers door switch P/N 4602780AA. $26.71
3 rear passenger door switches P/N 4602787AA. $5.49 each / $16.47
Shipping $7.50

Total $43.18 + $7.50 = $50.68

Reactions: adio1010

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here's my question, are they really green? or is that just how they came out in the photos? I'd love to do this mod but I'd like to keep the same bluish green lighting that is in the rest of the car.

Also if you buy them from DiscountedMoparParts.com they drop in price =p
1 drivers door switch P/N 4602780AA. $26.71
3 rear passenger door switches P/N 4602787AA. $5.49 each / $16.47
Shipping $7.50

Total $43.18 + $7.50 = $50.68
They look white when off but when lit up they where the same greenish color as the original light on the Caliber switch, they still match well with the cup holders! :D

Reactions: fugies

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gee thanks. Something else i have to do to Caliber LOL!!! To be truthful, just the other night i couldn't see the switch to roll up the passenger window, so i'll be doing this very soon. Very good step by step directions and pictures. Also thanks for the part numbers. Reps for you and your wife, for putting up with you. LOL!!! Tennessee girls rock!!!
Congrats-some people just do things the proper way and pass on the knowledge.
Lots of reps and thank you.
Thanks guys glad I could do something helpful for everyone here and take some of the guess work out!

·
Registered
103 Posts
switches

remember if you buy these switches Form a online supplier you need to make sure they are for the charger They all look the same But they are Different.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
I'm going to order mine on Thursday. The same price that Darren paid, $39.75 for the drivers door and $8.05 each for the other three doors. If i order on Thursday morning i will get them from Atlanta on Friday afternoon. (if all goes well LOL!!!) Can't wait to get them installed.

Reactions: JOJOCHINTO

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Wow Raven :wow:

Great step by step. I'll rep you when I get to a pc again.

Now they just need to make a Charger with its steering on the right so the switches will fit our export Cali's.

:D

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Rep points your way when it'll let me throw rep points your way! :rep:
Well done write up, I mean first class!:smileup:

Reactions: David Young
1 - 20 of 77 Posts