Dodge Caliber Forum banner

301 - 320 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Best not to "punch" the CVT or any drive by wire system. They don't quite know how to respond to a "step change" in input.
Modern systems work best with a steady moderate push to the floor.
The system "understands" that type of input much better and will give you surprisingly good acceleration.
Try it - you'll see.
I'll give it a shot. :) Once again, use to my manual 94' wrangler. heh. CVT is new to me, let alone a PCM. hah.

How many Mississippi ?
20 up, 20 down, as stated in my post. :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
10 fingers 10 toes technically, since I wasnt using my feet that freed up 10 more Mississippi. ;) lulz

Reactions: Aleks

·
Registered
33 Posts
tried this testerday on my caliber, it worked like a charm...no pauses, no hesitation on my acceleration and good response on my engine...i guess this will work on every manual 5 spd tranny. i got 2.4L 5-spd manual..so i really feel the difference...thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great!

Hi there - Long time reader with a few posts, but I wanted to share my experience:

I own an SXT 2007, 80000+ km, 2.0L CVT

Being a long time "manual" driver, I like how cars quickly responds to acceleration (i.e. from 0 to speed or passing another vehicle). But when I decided for the Caliber, I was a little bit dissapointed about its acceleration. The thing feels like a turtle in every situation... powerless, heavy, etc... I was wondering how does my Fiat Panda (1.2L 65HP) felt more powerful than this thing. True story!

Months ago did the procedure... I didn't feel the difference, maybe I didn't follwed instructions quite well, but yesterday I decided to give it a second chance.

I don't know if I'm biased for the results, but now I'm feeling the difference! Seems like the power is back again, and the acceleration feels more natural, open and responsive. No hesitations when accelerating from zero, and now I feel like I can pass another vehicles quicker (and safely?).

Is there any impact in MPG? Mine's doing 22-24 in heavy traffic driving (very low for a 2.0L I think).

Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
Is there any impact in MPG? Mine's doing 22-24 in heavy traffic driving (very low for a 2.0L I think).

Thanks!
I doubt it would increase your MPG, a tune up would be your best best if you haven't already done so. Heavy traffic is not good for MPG, so that could be your main problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I doubt it would increase your MPG, a tune up would be your best best if you haven't already done so. Heavy traffic is not good for MPG, so that could be your main problem.
I was thinking about the opposite, indeed: what if the procedure would affect MPG negatively. Hope not!

Even if MPG get worse, I'm very happy with the results! :Racing:

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I was thinking about the opposite, indeed: what if the procedure would affect MPG negatively. Hope not!

Even if MPG get worse, I'm very happy with the results! :Racing:
It won't affect the MPG. what id does is smooths out the engine's (and CVT's) response to the gas pedal. Overall you get better driveability.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
So the best technique is to do what the first post says? I read the first 8 pages without anything definite
Ahhh,.....yah...................

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
Yeah, sorry.. Kept reading to find that the first post would be updated. I digress
I updated the first post over time rather than doing a new post for any new info. But as you can see at the bottom of the post; there has been no updates needed since 2008.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Posting here first because I'm a rebel :ylsuper: but anyways, I read through all of this thread and look forward to doing the "Procedure" on my Caliber (Calliope) later on today. I will take her out on a test drive shortly, then I will do the "Procedure," wait a while, take her out on a second test, and then I will post my findings. I look forward to seeing the difference. :Racing:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Update: I did the procedure and despite it being a 5 speed, I definitely feel a difference in the acceleration. Thanks everyone! :smiley_thumbs_up::Racing:

301 - 320 of 332 Posts