Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cheers! I have been researching for a long time and wanting to change the CVT of my 2007 Dodge Caliber 2.0L to a 1.8L manual transmission, is that possible? If someone can advise me or has a way to do the process and what parts I should acquire before them, and give me all the knowledge and details about it, it would be a great help. I want to preserve the same 2.0 engine, it's just mounting the 1.8 transmission. Thank you very much!

My car model is, Dodge Caliber 2007 - 2.0L SE or LE in my country

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD
66 Posts
2.4L engine on R/T also had the same 5-speed manual transmission so with the right parts from a donor car, possibly. But does the performance gain justify the cost? Not really.
Many of the members have thought about swapping their CVT to manual but most of the times others advise against doing so as the cost to swap would far exceed the cost to sell and buy the manual Caliber. Personally I do think about swapping to manual time to time as well, but the cost deters me from doing so as well.

As for the swap, there was a member from this forum who claimed to have swapped CVT to manual but did not leave much information for other members to be of use. Other than that, there was a member called Turbo07RT who swapped his 2.4L engine with 5-speed manual to a SRT engine with 6-speed manual, and another member from Jeep Patriot forum who swapped his CVT to 6-speed automatic.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What about a 2.4, CVT, AWD to a 5- or 6-speed manual?

I'd be looking for better low-RPM power for climbing sand, rocks, and Civics.
It may be possible with 5-spd but the transmission has to be for AWD. Unlike FWD found in all manual Calibers, AWD variant have different housing to attach PTU.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2.4L engine on R/T also had the same 5-speed manual transmission so with the right parts from a donor car, possibly. But does the performance gain justify the cost? Not really.
Many of the members have thought about swapping their CVT to manual but most of the times others advise against doing so as the cost to swap would far exceed the cost to sell and buy the manual Caliber. Personally I do think about swapping to manual time to time as well, but the cost deters me from doing so as well.

As for the swap, there was a member from this forum who claimed to have swapped CVT to manual but did not leave much information for other members to be of use. Other than that, there was a member called Turbo07RT who swapped his 2.4L engine with 5-speed manual to a SRT engine with 6-speed manual, and another member from Jeep Patriot forum who swapped his CVT to 6-speed automatic.

Thanks for your answer Seyren,

In my case I have searched and thought about doing it since in my country the 2.4L model never arrived. I understand that the 1.8L SE version also had a 5-speed manual transmission being FWD like the 2.0L with CVT, is the change not possible for that model?
I also saw that a member managed to do it but he didn't give many details, so I also wrote to him to see if he would answer me.

At least in my country it is worth the cost since the cars exceed the price of what they are really worth and many times it is better to repower the one you have than to buy a used one because you do not know the conditions in which they are found. And the CVT being a bit delicate and limited in terms of the use of useful life. Although the care I give mine can be very good.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Calibers with 2.0L engine were available with manual transmission in the later years (2010~) so it definitely is possible.
To do the swap, you will need to gather all the parts associated, or find a Caliber with manual from junkyard that is still intact with all the parts you need to pull out.

·
Super Moderator
12,638 Posts
Calibers with 2.0L engine were available with manual transmission in the later years (2010~)
2010 MODEL YEAR
• All-new interior
• New instrument panel with center storage bin, bright trim accents and chromed HVAC vents and gauge cluster rings (all models)
• New vinyl-wrapped and padded, soft-touch door-trim panels and center console armrest (all models)
• Driver and front-passenger active head restraints (all models)
• Five-speed manual transmission with 2.0-liter World Gas Engine (standard on Caliber SE and SXT)
• Sport Appearance package includes new 18-inch polished aluminum wheels, performance suspension and steering (available on Caliber SXT)
• Lifestyle packages introduced (mid-model year)

·
Registered
271 Posts
It is possible. As to what is needed.. That would be the question. I just swapped my 1.8 5 speed to the 2.4 r/t motor and all fits well. I am pretty positive the 5 speed will fit no problem for the 2.0. You may need the

This is off the top of my head. I hope this helps
Torque Reaction Bracket - Mopar (5105416AE)
5189848AABRACKET Transmission Control Cable
Manual Transmission Shift Cable - Mopar (5062056AD)

SHIFTER. Transmission. Part Number: 05106135AA
( 2 ) CLIP. Retainer. Part Number: 68018106AA

A caliber clutch kit. Modular would fit your current flywheel disk even on the cvt

Clutch lines to the master break cylinder and i think that is all!

2.0 manual transmission ECM OR - HPTuners or something like it to change the gearbox from auto to manual or if you want to turn of some auto CEL lights.

Also you will gain lots of experience, friends, and challenges! Just have fun with it if you really want to do it man.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is possible. As to what is needed.. That would be the question. I just swapped my 1.8 5 speed to the 2.4 r/t motor and all fits well. I am pretty positive the 5 speed will fit no problem for the 2.0. You may need the

This is off the top of my head. I hope this helps
Torque Reaction Bracket - Mopar (5105416AE)
5189848AABRACKET Transmission Control Cable
Manual Transmission Shift Cable - Mopar (5062056AD)

SHIFTER. Transmission. Part Number: 05106135AA
( 2 ) CLIP. Retainer. Part Number: 68018106AA

A caliber clutch kit. Modular would fit your current flywheel disk even on the cvt

Clutch lines to the master break cylinder and i think that is all!

2.0 manual transmission ECM OR - HPTuners or something like it to change the gearbox from auto to manual or if you want to turn of some auto CEL lights.

Also you will gain lots of experience, friends, and challenges! Just have fun with it if you really want to do it man.
Thank you very much for telling me what I may need for my project in mind, because that is what I have in mind and in reality what I want to do. I really like the Calibers and before I let it die over the years I think I can have some fun with it haha..

Apart from what you have told me that I need, do you have any diagram or scheme that could be useful to carry out the swap?

I have to find myself enough friends, time and a few beers and experience hahaha.

I live in Venezuela and most of these parts I have to look for and order from other countries, so I need to evaluate costs and know exactly which ones to order and buy.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thank you very much for telling me what I may need for my project in mind, because that is what I have in mind and in reality what I want to do. I really like the Calibers and before I let it die over the years I think I can have some fun with it haha..

Apart from what you have told me that I need, do you have any diagram or scheme that could be useful to carry out the swap?

I have to find myself enough friends, time and a few beers and experience hahaha.

I live in Venezuela and most of these parts I have to look for and order from other countries, so I need to evaluate costs and know exactly which ones to order and buy.
Hmm. saddly no. But i think these two videos might help.

This is a video of a short shifter that kinda shows what it is like to remove the linkage on the inside.

This is a clutch video for the transmission removal. It is pretty much the same except the rear mount is different, the turbo parts you would skip, and clutch is a non-modular clutch.

I used that clutch video to help me change my clutch for the first time.

Ah I see and cool! Hopefully some members can also help chime in on all the parts or if i am missing something. That is what i think you will need so far. Also you need to decide if you want a modular clutch or non modular clutch. Modular would be simpler and less in cost.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Keep in mind that if you convert the car from a CVT to a manual you'll have to either reprogram or swap out some of the electronics as well. The ECU had to have been programmed to interact with the CVT's transmission control module and once that's gone it'll almost certainly throw a ton of codes and may even put the car into limp mode.

It's not like the old days when everything was mechanical and doing a trans swap like this was a reasonably simple thing. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keep in mind that if you convert the car from a CVT to a manual you'll have to either reprogram or swap out some of the electronics as well. The ECU had to have been programmed to interact with the CVT's transmission control module and once that's gone it'll almost certainly throw a ton of codes and may even put the car into limp mode.

It's not like the old days when everything was mechanical and doing a trans swap like this was a reasonably simple thing. :(
If I also have that in mind, that when swapping the transmission I should also swap the ECU of that model so that the programming will not be difficult. I guess...

But I think you're right about the lot of codes that can appear, that's why I'm searching first to see if it's possible to do it without much inconvenience, because if I don't have to give up doing the swap :cry:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm. saddly no. But i think these two videos might help.

This is a video of a short shifter that kinda shows what it is like to remove the linkage on the inside.

This is a clutch video for the transmission removal. It is pretty much the same except the rear mount is different, the turbo parts you would skip, and clutch is a non-modular clutch.

I used that clutch video to help me change my clutch for the first time.

Ah I see and cool! Hopefully some members can also help chime in on all the parts or if i am missing something. That is what i think you will need so far. Also you need to decide if you want a modular clutch or non modular clutch. Modular would be simpler and less in cost.
Thanks for the videos man! I think that they might help me at least to have an idea of how I can do it.

What if I wanted to ask you if it is not too daring, to show, if the change that you made affected something in yours? 🥺

·
Registered
882 Posts
But I think you're right about the lot of codes that can appear, that's why I'm searching first to see if it's possible to do it without much inconvenience, because if I don't have to give up doing the swap :cry:
Keep in mind that things like ECUs and TCMs are normally programmed at the factory with the specific VIN of the car they were installed in. This ensures that all of the various modules correctly match that specific car's features. If you then put that ECU/TCU/whatever into another car, 99% of the time it won't work as-is. Some modules can be reprogrammed to work with the "new" car using either a dealer-level scan tool or a 3rd party scan tool plus a subscription to the manufacturer's online service system. However, some modules can't be reprogrammed at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I just found a person who owns the R/T 2.0L model with the T355 transmission. Is it possible to do it or do the swap with that model? I guess is FWD like mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Keep in mind that things like ECUs and TCMs are normally programmed at the factory with the specific VIN of the car they were installed in. This ensures that all of the various modules correctly match that specific car's features. If you then put that ECU/TCU/whatever into another car, 99% of the time it won't work as-is. Some modules can be reprogrammed to work with the "new" car using either a dealer-level scan tool or a 3rd party scan tool plus a subscription to the manufacturer's online service system. However, some modules can't be reprogrammed at all.
Yes I know that. I recently installed the TIPM module on mine since mine had faults, what I could notice was that the wiring was only through different a connector other than the model I have, so what I did was adapt it to mine and it worked correctly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts