Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...er. Higher. 🥺

I have a 2008 R/T AWD that came with 215/55R18 on aluminium.

After a suspension lift of 2⅛”, I changed the wheels out for 235/65R16 on steel rims - a height increase of almost another ¾-inch. The additional width of over ¾-inch makes the rear tires rub on the sides of the struts at full extension (whilst airborne over sand dunes). I think a 1” wheel spacer may fix that.

Now, I’m looking at even taller tires; LT235/85R16 by Dick Cepek, which increases ride-height by another 1.85” (same width as the ones I have on now).

I’m worried about front strut interference. There’s a support for the bottom of the spring, that may get in my way of the top of the tire, unless I offset the wheel another 2” or so... then, fender clearance issues. Personally I don’t really like off-setting or spacers.

So. Is there a strut that’s similar to OEM, but isn’t so thick, bulky, and in the way of all this? Maybe something more heavy-duty (because dunes)?

·
Registered
672 Posts
You may find something for the Mitsubishi variants that might be better suited. These suspensions are **** for on road let alone jumping OFFroad. You're going to be replacing rear toe links and control arms, trailing arm bushings non stop.

Not to mention the way heavier tires and steel wheels acting on the suspension.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts