Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else deal with clicking from the hvac system under the dash? I have (or had) two different devices making this annoying clicking sound intermittently under the dash. One i traced to the recirculation blend door, which is located on the far right (passenger) side. I managed to disconnect that pretty easily.

The other on seems to be on the driver side, or more centered. I'd like to know what device it might be before i go tearing the dash apart..

·
Registered
710 Posts
You have one or more bad blend door actuators...there are either 2 or 3 of them behind the dash. They're relatively cheap and easy to replace...I have a video on YouTube that covers replacing the one behind the glove box.

No "relearning" of the new actuators is necessary...the HVAC system will figure it all out on its own.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have one or more bad blend door actuators...there are either 2 or 3 of them behind the dash. They're relatively cheap and easy to replace...I have a video on YouTube that covers replacing the one behind the glove box.

No "relearning" of the new actuators is necessary...the HVAC system will figure it all out on its own.
Thanks, i found the one behind the glove box, and it was actually very easy to unplug just reaching through the glove box opening. It might take some real monkey arms to actually replace it reaching through that small space, but i didn't try.
That unit and its replacement is described in the factory service manual. However i cant find mention of "other" blend door actuators in the FSM. I figured the other device might be something similar with a different name.

The noise is not bothering me so much that i want to tear the whole dash apart without knowing specifically what i'm looking for..

·
Registered
710 Posts
It's not horrible to replace though you do need to contort your arm a bit and you're doing the replacement entirely by feel. Luckily Dodge designed a locating pin in the actuator that helps get it situated.

I think there's one more actuator in the vicinity of the driver's footwell, on the right side...removing the panels down there should expose it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts