161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
each relay ?
We just use one relay, no ?
1 relay control 2 ballast.
Some people use multiple relays. One for each low beam and one for each high beam. If you only have one; then you only need to do that one.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
ok thx a lot, I'll try and let's you know.

P.S.: Random diode ? or axactly one type ?
General purpose with ratings for a 12V system.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
1N4004 (1A 400PIV) or the like works well for relay coil surge suppression. I use them all the time in industrial machine control panels, across relay and solenoid valve coils.

One relay for two ballasts - are the contacts rated high enough?
Inadequately rated relay contacts can cause all sorts of weak power, even flickering lights.

To estimate needed contact rating - add the current draw of each ballast and multiply by two.

ex. 2 5A ballasts = 10A total load. The relay should be rated at 20A or more to insure good power to the ballasts and long relay life.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Out of curiosity, can you sketch up a diagram of how you have the lights and relay wired, scan it in and post it here?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Ok so I have hids that operates on a 35v system output and a 13-16v input. So what relay would i need for the hids to work??
You need to know the amps they draw. The 12 volt 40 amp relay is what you need, but knowing what each ballast's current draw will determine if you need 1 or 2 relays.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, I guess that I'm on the same boat has everyone else. I don't fully understand but here goes.

09 Caliber

HID kit bought online.

I have the Relay Harness connected to the Battery and the Ground is connected to the Chassis. There is only one Relay on the Harness. Each Ballast has it's own Capacitor and from there it goes to the HID.

The Lights do flicker here and there but now I noticed that I can't change to them to low or high, they simply stay on low. That's strange...... after a while they did just turn off but if I turned on the High beams they came back on but only in low beam.

Should I try the 10 ohm Resistors first on the Harness that is feeding the Relay for the HID and move on from there?

I will try to take some pics of it soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Prop1,
I am having the same issue and was looking to perform this ingenious fix. I'm not unskilled mechanically but wiring isn't my stron suit. The drawing seems to be unavailable or can't be displayed for some reason. Any chance you could repost it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can do it on your own risk (lead colours on drawing are different than those under the hood)
If you have an american bulb other than H4 -no matter, it is basicly all the same.

led hid relay  for Caliber.jpg led hid relay  for Caliber.jpg

It is much better to have two relays than just one (for both sides).
One relay case -if it brakes down - you will have no lights at all.
With two relays is much safer...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i can't see the diagrams, anyone have the pictures?
I put a LED canbus headlight, but with the low beam i have flickering problem, the LED flicker a couple times and then turn off, but the high beam works perfectly, anyone have this problem and know how to fix it?

161 - 177 of 177 Posts