Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This topic comes up often. Those Cheap HIDs sold on ebay that never work on the Caliber because of the TIPM. I figured it was time to address it with the only known work around to make them work.

You'll need relays similar to this:
relay rated 12V @ 40A

Weatherproof inline fuse holders similar to this:

And this drawing:

Reactions: Francois and 99GAZI

·
Registered
147 Posts
Very simple and straight forward, great job. This was an issue I also faced though my HIDs were rather pricy but not plug and play.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I already published this solution in the Knowledge Base.;)

I've added this to the knowledge base thread I started.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, i have the same problem with my hids, this post seams to be the perfect fix just im not as electronically inclined it would help if someone could post explanation of how to set this up , especially when it comes to the resistors.... thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would like to know what to buy and how to install it!

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I would like to know what to buy and how to install it!
Print out the posting and go to your favorite auto parts store. All the parts are generic and the people there can help you find it. If you know a friend that is good with electrics, enlist their help. This isn't something that a person with no electrical knowledge should tackle.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Couple quickies RE: Opacheco' drawing:

Question to Prop1 - Are the 10 ohm resistors in place of the light bulbs actually required? (to tell TIPM that headlight circuit is ok or the like?)

Comment to all - If you use this setup, the resistors will get pretty hot, make sure that they are away from anything that can melt or burn when they are installed

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couple quickies RE: Opacheco' drawing:

Question to Prop1 - Are the 10 ohm resistors in place of the light bulbs actually required? (to tell TIPM that headlight circuit is ok or the like?)

Comment to all - If you use this setup, the resistors will get pretty hot, make sure that they are away from anything that can melt or burn when they are installed
I would assume the coil of the relay would have the resistance equivalent to the original bulbs. I doubt 10 watt resistors would get very hot used as they will be, and are probably overkill. I used a similar setup on my Land Rover for my 4 off-road driving lights, and never used a resistor on the coil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the relay and fuse but they still flash for me. For the 10ohm/10w resistor, does it just go one the prong of the factory head light socket?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the relay and fuse but they still flash for me. For the 10ohm/10w resistor, does it just go one the prong of the factory head light socket?
The resistor has to go in series with the head light power and that feeds the ballast input. If that's the way you are doing it, which does not require the relay. If you ar using the relay you don't need the resistor. The head light power connects to the relay coil. 12 volts from the battery goes to one side of the relay contacts and the other goes to the ballast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
O ok. Why do you think they are flickering then if i have to relay and the fuse box? It isn't a constant flicker. They didn't flicker when i had my halogen ones in.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
O ok. Why do you think they are flickering then if i have to relay and the fuse box? It isn't a constant flicker. They didn't flicker when i had my halogen ones in.
The TIPM monitors all of the electrical components of the car. If the current draws isn't within what it expects it to be, it will try to correct the condition by turning the circuit on and off. Eventually, if the problem doesn't clear, it turns the circuit off permanently, and requires a reset. Most times that requires a visit to the dealer.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So if i added resistors to make more wattage be pulled would it make my lights stop flickering?
I don't know from what you have posted as to how you have the HIDs connected electrically. If you have the relay connected properly, the HIDs shouldn't flicker. The HIDs should be getting their power directly from the battery via the relay. Unless you can better describe what you have done, I can't help you. If you're not good with electrics, I suggest you enlist the aid of someone you know that does.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what kind of relay 5 pin or 4 pin or if you have part number
Just as I instructed in my original post, one that they sell at auto parts stores for add on lights. Should be an SPST.

·
Registered
30 Posts
just to add to this because i am searching the topic for my Wife's Caliber. I have an '09 Wrangler Rubicon with the same issue. In Jeep land we add a capacitor and diode to the relay control circuit to make the pulse width modulated signal by the vehicle a steady source to the relay. Been working fine on my JK for about 9 months now.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts